3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance upgrade advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance upgrade advice?

I'm popping over the pond at the end of September this year for a well earned holiday.
Whilst over in the USA, I'm very obviously going to take advantage of picking up some performance upgrades.
I already have a "wish list" that WILL become reality lol.

1) 4:56 gear kit front and rear, to upgrade the crummy 3:55's I have at present.

2) The Rancho RS5000's I currently have look very tired and Billsteins, are on my list.

Now THE big question............what is a great cam for great low end torque?

I need to have a cam that doesn't require a tuner and will work on the stock ECU settings. I run on LPG fuel along with petrol, so I don't think I can mess too much with programming. Plus she's an 03 which limits what I can do anyway.
But any significant improvement, over a stock cam will be brilliant, as I will also be doing the 6.1 spring and pushrod swap out at the same time. Getting rid of the potential, early Hemi spring failure issues.
I have a custom 3" stainless exhaust with high flow cat and a cutout already. I suppose headers would also be good, but I don't want to loose any low end torque I already have by changing the stockers out.

Any help is extremely appreciated guys.

Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 08-16-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Most guys running a QC have either a Sidewinder, 260 or KRC 210(x) and the last one is my personal fav. But it needs custom tuning so if you are going to use that one, then keep that in mind.

As for the gears, wow, going from 355s to 456s will be night and day totally. Thats a big jump and a good one

Old 08-16-2010, 11:50 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al,
All your mods are good. Just be careful that the cam you pick is 03 friendly. Good luck..

Old 08-16-2010, 03:21 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Al,
All your mods are good. Just be careful that the cam you pick is 03 friendly. Good luck..
Yeah....that's what I'm worried about.
Plus it's a heavy *** quad cab so low down torque needs to be there for the giddy up lol.
The 4:56's will I guess certainly help there.
Al.

Quick Reply: Performance upgrade advice?