3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing problems, 2004 Ram.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 PM
extremis
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an older Superchips tuner. It plugs into your diagnostic port at the base of the steering column. You set up the tune, upload it, unplug it and then your done. Takes about 10 or 15 minutes.
It has several modes (performance, tow, performance 87 octane, xs mileage), as well as allowing you to change shift points for the engine/transmission. I use the tow tune all the time, as it seems to give the best mileage even for everyday driving. I didn't bother changing the shift points from whatever Superchips has in the tune.
Most of my daily drive is in town, on big hills/mountains at lower speeds. The performance tunes only netted poorer mileage and in some cases a need for higher octane/more expensive fuel. My truck is too heavy with this size engine for the mileage tune to show any gain.
I lucked out, and picked the tuner up for $200 off a website that was clearing them out when the new model was released. They typically run around $400 or so new.
Most of these type of tuner also will read your troublecodes, and reset the engine light. A code reader is 100-200 so that is a bonus as well.
Watch Craigslist, you may pick one up used. Make sure its not locked to a truck though. They only work on 1 vehicle at a time. You have to remove the tune software from the first vehicle to use it on a second.

Quick Reply: Towing problems, 2004 Ram.