3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Ram Out of Nowhere Transmission Jerking/Pulling

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:19 AM
whiteram03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 03 Ram Out of Nowhere Transmission Jerking/Pulling

I'll try and make this a quick summary.

03 1500 with approx 76K miles. 4.7 auto tran.

Out of the blue this past Thursday, driving to work, my transmission starts a kind of slingshotting feeling forward and backward with some light knocks here and there. Happened to and from work on that Thurs and on Fri.

I let it sit all weekend without driving, to take it to friends shop this morning (Mond 8/23). About a 10 mile drive. Didn't do it 1 time on the way.

He calls me at end of day after experiencing the jerking and says he thinks a filter change possibly, but he's not a tranny rebuild guy, and says it's prob gonna need a rebuild coming up.

Him and I noticed that it seems more prominant in the 3rd gear range. On the way home from picking it up, it starts out no prob, but like 5 min later starts again. Mostly highway miles home. Up around 60 miles an hour it's running smoother, but starts going into a higher sounding gear and back on it's own on and off, and a couple of really hard hits to the tranny.

So number 1, Why out of the blue does something like this start? And could it be the filter issues, or sensors somewhere making it flipout all the sudden. OR is that how a bad transmission starts..."out of the blue"?

COUPLE OTHER ADDED NOTES: TRAN FLUID IS RED/CLEAN. HAD FLUSH ABOUT 20K MILES AGO TOO.

I REPLACED THE "IOC" IN THE PAST BECAUSE OF IDLING ISSUES AND FIXED PROBLEM, BUT LATELY THE TRUCK STALLS AT A STOPLIGHT ONCE IN A WHILE (3 TIMES TODAY THOUGH), AND GETTING SPEEDOMETER BOBBING UP AND DOWN AGAIN.

FOR A WHILE NOW(OVER 6MTHS), MY INSTRUMENT PANEL IS SHOT, MOSTLY OFF WITH ALL WARNING LIGHTS ON, AND GAUGES DEAD, BUT COMES ON AND OFF HERE AND THERE. THIS EFFECTS, HEADLIGHTS/BREAKLIGHTS, AC COMPRESSOR, WIPERS, HORN, ETC.

Any tranny advice is appreciated and whatever bones you can throw me on the rest......THANKS!!!! Can't afford a rebuild really.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 AM
rickof08
Veteran

This doesnt help your tranny issue but my 4.7 would stall at stop signs and lights. It was my throttle body, it needed a good cleaning. It never did it again.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 AM
PhotogTom
Veteran

I'm wondering if it isn't something in the electronic controls, sensors, or computer. The fact that your instrument panel isn't working correctly and your engine is prone to stalling indicates that you have a problem outside of the transmission.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteram03
So number 1, Why out of the blue does something like this start? And could it be the filter issues, or sensors somewhere making it flipout all the sudden. OR is that how a bad transmission starts..."out of the blue"?
Dont take this the wrong way but its not really "out of the blue" as you put it. I mean I understand it is showing symptoms now but my point is if we all keep out rides long enough, it will happen to ALL of us. There is NO escaping electrical or mechanical failure. It just sounds like you got it sooner than others but at the same time later than some too.

COUPLE OTHER ADDED NOTES: TRAN FLUID IS RED/CLEAN. HAD FLUSH ABOUT 20K MILES AGO TOO.
Red fluid means nothing. AFT4 doesnt really loose its color or smell burnt. I understand what you are saying about it being somewhat fresh but dont let that fool you into thinking its good fluid. Im not saying it is bad either but just dont let 20k on some fluid make you think not to look at it or change it out.

I REPLACED THE "IOC" IN THE PAST BECAUSE OF IDLING ISSUES AND FIXED PROBLEM, BUT LATELY THE TRUCK STALLS AT A STOPLIGHT ONCE IN A WHILE (3 TIMES TODAY THOUGH), AND GETTING SPEEDOMETER BOBBING UP AND DOWN AGAIN.
Do a search for stalling issues with Dodge Rams and you will find quite a bit of guys with various issues. Some issues when coming to a stop are low trans fluid or bad throttle body. With you jerking and stalling, it could just be in the throttle body and not the transmission. You just may think it is in the trans because of the jerking but if it is being staved for fuel or air via the throttle body then it will do the same. It will also stall from lack or fuel or air. See ehat Im saying??

FOR A WHILE NOW(OVER 6MTHS), MY INSTRUMENT PANEL IS SHOT, MOSTLY OFF WITH ALL WARNING LIGHTS ON, AND GAUGES DEAD, BUT COMES ON AND OFF HERE AND THERE. THIS EFFECTS, HEADLIGHTS/BREAKLIGHTS, AC COMPRESSOR, WIPERS, HORN, ETC.
You really need to get this to a shop and get hooked up to some electrical diagnostic equipment to determine where your issues are at.

And lastly, are you getting any check engine lights or idiot lights on the dash lighting up when you have these issues or loose the instrument panel?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:36 PM
whiteram03

Thanks for the replies. I meant IAC, Idle Control Valve in my original post. An updated bit of info now is I tried turning OFF the Over Drive today at the shift handle, and it definitely seems to smooth out the jerking of the engine. Not 100% but it is doing something for the problem. I'm considering things like Transmission Solenoid, and someone above mentioned computer issues maybe?

So anyone have anything to say about the Overdrive comment above...anything I should look for there????

I have bought some cleaners to clean the air intake manifold, and the Idle control valve to see what that does with my idle and stalling. When I replaced the IAC before it got rid of those issues immediately. (throttle speed thing too).
Will clean the throttle body as well now, thanks weedahoe.

The instrument panel...I'm procrastinating taking that out to check all wiring and connections there...but it's about time I get to it.

76K miles, never had plugs replaced...I'm assuming would be a good idea too?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:14 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I have read there was actually an idle problem that was solved with replacing a trans filter. It was something about the filter not being properly seated and was causing wierd shifts and idle problems. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:16 PM
whiteram03

Replacing the trans filters and my instrument panel removal was already on my to do list this weekend, so good advice, hopefully this will have a positive effect. Good thing they're only about $27.00 (plus fluid replacement)

Old 08-25-2010, 04:04 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

$27 sounds about right. Be sure to let us know what you find the issue to be

Quick Reply: 03 Ram Out of Nowhere Transmission Jerking/Pulling