3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another HID Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another HID Thread

Sorry guys, but my issue is different then the flickering or the blinking then the lights go out. My issue is that the lights work, come on good, stay on for a while highs/lows are good...but as i am driving they will go out and come back on right way, and be good for a good long while, then do the same again, different intervals might I add. Its almost like I am turning my lights off to blink at someone...

The kit I bought came with pre-wired capacitors. I have tryed turning my DRLs off with and without the capacitors. ALSO kept the DRLs on with both the capacitors on and off. I'm not sure what the heck is going on. I checked all my connections, ground points. Everything is good. Nothing is coming loose on the connectors side of things. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:57 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If it were me I would try loosing the caps and clip in some 50 watt resistors just to rule that out.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 PM
jose13b
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like he said

Old 08-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Nate769
All Star

They are 55W ballasts tho...so what would be the point of the resistors? They do on the other hand only seem to do it whilest driving....

Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Ok but is 55w your light output or power consumption? Because the OEM lights are 50/55watt and the PCM/FCM is setup to read or "see" the filament in the halogen bulbs to detect them and provide power.

Im not sure if resistors are the fix for you but I do know guys have had issues with those caps.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Nate769
All Star

I know for a fact that it is power consumption. However the guy tried to tell me that they. Don't provide a 55w bulb. Which did not make sense to me but I'm new at this whole HID thing. I'm an electrician so 55w output means you need a 55w bulb??? Maybe not but that's just me.

Even with the caps out they still work just like they do now no other problems, I'm starting to wonder why they were even sent in the first place. The other thing is that both the left and right ballasts needed a ground. I just grounded them both to the frame with two screws. I'm just wondering if I could be getting any power circulating from there...no idea just throwing it out there. I might try sodering them together and bring them to the battery. It seems to do unregularly. I drove 100km last night with them going out once. But this morning in a 30 km drive i had to run off my fogs because people kept thinking I was blinking at them....

Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Well just keep in mind the OEM halogen bulbs use a filament that "absorbs" the 50/55 watts whereas HIDs are gas filled with special salts that when electrified with an arc produce plasma and give off the light you see.

No HID bulb I have ever seen has wattage printed on them.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate769
I know for a fact that it is power consumption. However the guy tried to tell me that they. Don't provide a 55w bulb. Which did not make sense to me but I'm new at this whole HID thing. I'm an electrician so 55w output means you need a 55w bulb??? Maybe not but that's just me.

Sounds like your kit cosists of 55w ballasts over powering 35w bulbs which some guys do. problem is that they don't actually use of a true 55wAND it is detrimental to the bulbs life, especially since those conversion kit bulbs aren't that great to begin with. MOST aftermarket companies DO NOT make an actual 55w bulb. They label the 35w bulbs as such. Very hard to find a true 55w bulb as far as I know, especially of good quality. Philips makes'em, Osram branded as well but they run $170 for the pair and they are a true HID base. D2S which won't work for you.
Even using an OEM Philips 35w bulb off a 55w ballasts destroys the life of the bulb.

Also, 55w bulbs are extremely bright and blinding to others, they are NOT better in any way shape or form. Big misconception amongst beginner HID guys. 55w actually produces a brighter light with more Lumens but creates a more scattered light AND less dirtect so the 55w bulbs have a very uneven light spread which sorta defeats HID technology.
Another problem with 55w kits is they prioduce TONS of heat and can damage your reflector bowl and possibly melt your housing and/or catch fire. It's happened. Go search over on HID planet and you will see that what I am telling you is not BS.

Just because you have 55w ballasts doesn't mean the bulb is absorbing up 55w of electricity. The bulb can only use so much power even though the 55w ballasts is trying to feed it 55w.
I'd see if you can get your money bak and just go with a 35w bulb/ballast kit.
HIDXtra has a sale right now for $43.99 each kit. Buy 2 for the price of one elswhere's.

The shutting off and then going back on real quick could be a heat problem within the ballast and is causing it to go into protect mode???? Just stabbing at that as I'm not entirely sure. MANY variables.

Last edited by dirtydog; 09-02-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I understand what you are saying Dirty but I looked over on HID Planet before I posted to make sure and I could find any OEM bulbs marked 50/55w.

i know it has been brought up before about the 55w ballasts over powering the bulbs but do you know of any or have any pics of HID bulbs marked accordingly. Not doubting you but I would just like to see some.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Nate769
All Star

Thanks for your help so far guys...thats what I thought with the whole 35w/55w kit. From my understanding I bought the 55w kit so that I would not have to wire in resistors. Assuming that I would get 55w bulbs. I did check and the bulbs do have information for it and they are 35w bulbs and not 55. Just checked with the seller and they don't have any 55w so something does not add up.

Next question, if the ballast were overheating why would it do it because it's not pulling 55w of power according to the bulbs...? It's kinda got me stumped, but maybe I will meter it out...if the ballasts are only using 35w I would assume that I would either have to wire in some resistors, or buy 55w bulbs...CORRECT???

Quick Reply: Another HID Thread