3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 ram hemi tapping noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:06 PM
PRF66
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Hemi Tic IS THIS A FIX? OPINIONS PLEASE

Since this truck had 24,000 miles on it it has been ticking, er tapping and it is an annoying thing. I called Chrysler and complained that I have been putting up with this and I now have 46,900 miles on the odometer. They agreed to investigate the problem with the Dealer and getting the Engine fixed. This past week the dealer did the following; check oil press at idle 40 psi found valves to be noisy, both banks leaking, lifters collapsed, they R&R the Cylinder Head, Replaced Valve Lifters, and Rockers and replaced gaskets on head, valve covers exhaust manifold, New Oil, New Antifrz, R&R 134a. Truck runs great and sounds just fine so far, so good. The dealer cleaned the engine compartment, the entire exterior of the truck looked great, tire shine and I have no Idea how he got my wheels looking so chome shiny. I am happy. I hope this noise does not return. Thank you Chrysler, and Thank you, McDonagh Dodge Rt 18, East Brunswick NJ.
Regards, Michael
P.S. I have an extended full coverage warranty, paid $100. deductible

Last edited by PRF66; 09-05-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Change title
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 AM
PRF66
Rookie
Default So is this a fix

What do you guys think is this a fix? I mean do I need to get blue goo oil and the gas additive 5 ola? To lube my valve? reference to Duces IV and Nuclear Blue custom 7.5w 23w Oil. What do you guys think of the repairs? Regards, Michael

Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im not totally understanding this. Ok, I got the part that you had some valve train noise.

The found some issues and resolved them and you thanked them.

Then you came back with another post and asked do we think they fixed it? If they found the issues you say they did and replaced what they said they did then you should be good. In all honesty, you got more from them that most people have

Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 AM
PRF66
Rookie
Red face

OK. I had that damm hemi tick for 20,000 miles and got jerked around until I got through to Chrysler. I posted what was done to the engine.. I am asking what others think about what was done. Why? because the hemi tick did not start until I had 24,000 miles on the clock. So, I am just wondering is there a inherent problem let's say "Engineering wise" with this Engine? Can I expect this "ticking" to return? Come on what is not to get? There is a company BND I believe that swears the issue is corrected by putting in Aces IV gas treatment to lube the valve seats and Quantum Blue 7.5w 23w engine oil and the weights I just gave you are correct straight from the physics engineer that runs BND.
So, whats not to get? Have you seen all the posts about this "Hemi Ticking"? I figured I'd get a little more information on much a do about an engine and are others getting this particular "FIX" from their dealer.
Man I should have kept my "99" then of course I really did love that "03".... I had to have an inferno red hemi...Love the truck can't believe the FAQs on this 07. Regards, Michael

Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think they replaced the parts they found to be defective or most likely causing the issue. My assumption is if you no longer have the issue then they replaced the correct parts. Having an issue that develops at 24k or 124k is nothing indicative of the engine from one motor to the next.

In the early Hemis there were excessive valve guide issues that were later corrected.

Some people have found that thier ticking was caused my broken or loose exhaust manifold bolts. Others have found that by changing the 5.7 push rods with slightly longer 6.1 push rods, their issues went away. Some have replaced the valve train with new components.

You have an 07 with MDS and some have found the lifters and yokes to cause noise.

Some have quieted their noise with thicker or synthetic oils.

If your issues is now resolved, i see no need to use the oil you are talking about. Not to mention with you having MDS on your 07, using that oil would void your power train warranty.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:58 AM
PRF66
Rookie

That's an excellent point, I never thought about the warranty. I think I will be sticking with Mobil One. Thank you. Regards, Michael

Quick Reply: 2007 ram hemi tapping noise