3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cel question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cel question

on a trip at the moment and just had a cel light come on. pulled over right now to check it by using the key turn trick but no code is showing up. just dashes for a min then the word done shows. any idea what's the deal with this? thanks. googled the problem and others of different vehicles have had similar issues so obviously its an effin computer problem....

Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Why not go by some place like Autozone and let them connect a OBD scanner to the truck and see if they can get anything.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:03 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

lol we're literally in middle of nowhere. north east part of fresno ca on our way to tin buck to turlock lol. hoping they'll have some auto store there. just mainly curious if anyone knows what's the deal with a ghost cel light

Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Ive read where CA doesnt allow code scanning anyway. But you can get a light and it not be recorded being the trouble havent been triggered enough to be logged

Old 09-03-2010, 03:30 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

weird? so I shouldn't worry? yeah ca as far as I know still let's us check obd at autozone. I have a code reader just haven't dug it out yet after our move.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

If it is coming up now it will come back later. Its just a matter or time and circumstance.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:47 AM
mbaseball3
Veteran

ok might this be the case....in continuation of todays snafoo, I couldn't unlock my truck with the key fob. obviously battery died right? I'm at a hotel and am still not set up like I should be (no tools). fortunately dude at front counter had screw driver that fit screw. upon opening the fob something struck the hmm button. the solder that holds the battery to the chip is completely unhooked. knowing that there is a security chip inside the fob could that be the reason of the ghost cel? and if the battery connection isn't connected could that mean the truck with not travel the distance because the chip no longer connects and shut me down? also truck is used when I got it and only came with one key. dodge wanted to charge me 100 for 2nd key. I purchased lifetime powertrain warranty when I got truck, does it cover new fob replacement? regardless I'm throwing a chit storm when I get home and getting it replaced. cause this ain't cool. thanks for any insight

Old 09-04-2010, 06:33 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Not part of the powertrain. You might be able to get it a little cheaper from a local locksmith. It takes 2 good keys to be able to program a 3rd yourself. If only one key, the dealer must do it

Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I think you can buy those keys on ebay but getting them programmed requires the dealer

Old 09-06-2010, 09:50 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

thanks for the help. got it repaired at the dealership. still getting this ghost code. but goes away after awhile. and I only got it after about 100 miles on the freeway. city streets, I have yet to get it.

Quick Reply: cel question