3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ticking noise? hemi

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:20 PM
fordmandodgefan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking noise? hemi

04 hem 1500 110'000 miles i loud thicking when first start then quites but always ticks i use 10w 30 oil i belive it is the lifters (know issue) but might be the exahust leaking a lil. if it is the lifter where do you get new ones cheap

Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 PM
PRF66
Rookie

I don't know where you get the lifters cheap, but I just had a lot of in warranty work done on my 07 Ram and the parts were not cheap. The work was performed in order to correct my complaints on the "hemi tick" which for now is no longer. What I'd like to know is what oil the dealer put in the truck 5w 20 generic? There is only a long code number for 7 quarts on the receipt and it crosses to 5w20, but is it synthetic. I had been running Mobil 1 and I am strongly considering using BND products Aces IV and Quantum Blue. They were nice enough to talk to me prior to my complaints to Chrysler and I think the product may be a great answer. Perhaps you could call them? They might suggest use of their product before you pop for new parts. If it were not for the warranty from Chrysler and the repairs being covered, I know I would have bought the Aces IV and Quantum Blue first. Then,if it didn't help,I'd repair the engine. Good luck. Regards, Michael

Last edited by PRF66; 09-06-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:53 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

04 hydraulic tappets (lifters) are P/N 53021720AB and are about $60. Some guys find that their exhaust manifold bolts have broken and cause a "tick". Other find that by swapping out their 5.7 push rods for 6.1 push rods (about $11) they loose their "tick". Other finds that synthetic oils lessen the noise and some like replacing all the internals and replacing valve guides as well.

If you want those lifters, then go over to http://www.wermopar.com/ or call the dealer.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:36 PM
fordmandodgefan

thinks ill look in those and is that a dodge part number

Quick Reply: ticking noise? hemi