3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced my Radiator..now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Swade730
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced my Radiator..now what?

My 02 pickup was overheating and it's because there was a leak in the radiator. Well I replaced the radiator and the mechanic said I need to flush out the water and put antifreeze(didn't hav antifreeze available when the job was done).

-Should I pay $60 for a radiator flush at pep boys

-Would it be ok to just drain it myself from the bottom left side of the radiator (my left as if I was facing it) and throw 2 gallons of antifreeze in there

-Any specific radiator fluid you guys recommend?

Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

I would forget the Pep Boys route, go to Napa and pick up 2 concentrate bottles of Zerex G-05, or the dealer if color matters and you have the extra $$$, on the way home stop by a grocery store and pickup a couple gallons of distilled water and flush it myself. The Zerex G-05 is what is spec'd for my 4.7, I'm not sure on what the 5.9 needs, may be able to get away with the cheap green stuff. The difference between the G-05 and the dealer stuff is that the G-05 is clear and about half of what the dealer wants for the red stuff.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 PM
That1guy
Veteran

What i did on my 02 was unhook both hoses from the radiator. Then took the cap off the over flow bottle and put a hose in it. Since the overflow goes in the motor it will flush the block. Mine started shooting water out the top hose going to the radiator. You really need to pull the thermostat to make sure it gets everything but i dont think its worth it. After i did mine once. I hooked the hoses back up and just put straight water in it. Let it warm up with the heater blowing and shut it off. Let it cool for for at least 45 minutes and flushed it again. Also draining the radiator at the valve on the bottom.

I did that I figured the system holds about 3 gallons. So i put a gallon of pure antifreeze in it then put another gallon of 50/50. Since there is water in the block it should dilute the pure stuff. From there you can adjust to get it closer in spec.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Veibz
Professional

You MUST get rid of the water and put anti freeze in it for TONS of reasons. Number one...it will rust out the radiator. Then when you go to take it back for your warranty they will laugh at you because there is rust in it. Also, With water in your radiator....with one good freeze...you will be replacing it. Antifreeze is a MUST. Do it right the first time! No need to pay for the flush. Do it yourself but just do the job the correct time the first time.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Gasturbine
Professional

Originally Posted by Swade730
Well I replaced the radiator and the mechanic said I need to flush out the water and put antifreeze(didn't hav antifreeze available when the job was done).
WTF? What shop/mechanic replaces radiators, and doesn't have coolant?

Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 PM
MOusafLRT03

i thought that too. i used to work at a shop turning wrenches, and the boss had coolant but if he needed something special (i.e. dexcool), he would just call up to whomever and they would deliver lickity-split.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If you poured tap water in there, you ned to flush it all out. Lots of minerals in tap water that will be depoisted throughout the system and begin to corrode away at the metal. Dumping the radiator isn't good enough as there is now mineral water in the engine block.
If $60 is for the complete flush including PROPER coolant(long life) and not generic grren stuff. I say let them do it. They hook a machine up to your lines and it cleans everything out.
Coolant flushing is a messy job when done at home. The clean-up and hassle is certainly worth the extra expense. You'd end up spending $30 in materials anyways.
Again, ONLY if they are using the good stuff and not cheap stuff.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CHEMICAL CLEANING

In some instances, use a radiator cleaner (Mopar
T Radiator Kleen or equivalent) before flushing. This will soften
scale and other deposits and aid flushing operation.
CAUTION: Follow manufacturers instructions when using these products.
DRAINING COOLING SYSTEM - ALL GAS ENGINES
WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE CYLINDER BLOCK
DRAIN PLUGS OR LOOSEN RADIATOR DRAINCOCK
WITH SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER PRESSURE.
SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN
OCCUR.
DO NOT WASTE reusable coolant. If solution is clean,
drain coolant into a clean container for reuse.
1. Attach one end of a hose to the draincock. Put the
other end into a clean container.

DO NOT REMOVE THE RADIATOR CAP when
draining the coolant from the reservoir/overflow
tank. Open radiator draincock and when the tank is
empty, remove the radiator cap and continue draining
the cooling system.
3. If draining the entire engine, remove the cylinder
block drain plugs. Refer to or.
REFILLING COOLING SYSTEM - ALL GAS ENGINES
The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. In
order to maintain the required protection for these components and cooling system performance, only use the
appropriate fluid (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/FLUID TYPES - DESCRIPTION) when servicing the
vehicle. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% distilled water to obtain
a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly
mixed coolant solution.
WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE CYLINDER BLOCK DRAIN PLUGS OR LOOSEN RADIATOR DRAINCOCK WITH
SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER PRESSURE. SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN OCCUR.
7 - 20 COOLING

DR/DH

DO NOT WASTE reusable coolant. If solution is clean, drain coolant into a clean container for reuse.
Clean cooling system prior to refilling. (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
1. Install cylinder block drain plugs. Coat the threads with Mopar

T Thread Sealant with Teflon.
2. Close radiator petcock.
3. Fill cooling system with the antifreeze mixture (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/FLUID TYPES -
DESCRIPTION).
4. Fill coolant reserve/overflow tank to MAX mark on bottle.
5. Start and operate engine until thermostat opens (upper radiator hose warm to touch).
6. If necessary, add antifreeze mixture to the coolant reserve/overflow tank. This is done to maintain coolant level
between the MAX and MIN marks. The level in the reserve/overflow tank may drop below the MIN mark after
three or four warm-up and cool-down cycles.
DRAINING COOLING SYSTEM - 5.9L DIESEL ENGINE
WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE CYLINDER BLOCK DRAIN PLUGS OR LOOSEN THE RADIATOR DRAIN
PLUG WITH SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER PRESSURE. SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN OCCUR.
DO NOT WASTE reusable coolant. If the solution is clean, drain the coolant into a clean container for reuse.
1. Start the engine and place the heater control temperature selector in the Full-On position.
2. Turn the ignition off.
3. Do not remove radiator cap when draining coolant from reserve/overflow tank. Open radiator drain plug and
when tank is empty, remove radiator cap. If the coolant reserve/overflow tank does not drain, (Refer to 7 -
COOLING - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING). The coolant need not be removed from tank unless the system is
being refilled with fresh mixture.
4. Remove radiator pressure cap.
REFILLING COOLING SYSTEM - 5.9L DIESEL ENGINE
Clean cooling system prior to refilling (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
1. Close radiator drain plug.
CAUTION: Due to the use of the one-way check valve, the engine must not be operating when refilling the
cooling system.
NOTE: The diesel engine is equipped with two one-way check valves (jiggle pins). The check valves are
used as a servicing feature and will vent air when the system is being filled. Water pressure (or flow) will
hold the valves closed.
2. Fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze.
3. Fill coolant reserve/overflow tank to the FULL mark.
4. Start and operate engine until thermostat opens. Upper radiator hose should be warm to touch.
5. If necessary, add 50/50 water and antifreeze mixture to the coolant reserve/overflow tank to maintain coolant
level. This level should be between the ADD and FULL marks. The level in the reserve/overflow tank may drop
below the ADD mark after three or four warm-up and cool-down cycles.
ADDING ADDITIONAL COOLANT
The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. In
order to maintain the required protection for these components and cooling system performance, only use the
appropriate fluid (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/FLUID TYPES - DESCRIPTION) when servicing the
vehicle. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% distilled water to obtain
a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly
mixed coolant solution. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50%
distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and
replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.
DR/DH

COOLING 7 - 21

CAUTION: Do not use coolant additives that are claimed to improve engine cooling.
Do not remove the radiator cap to add coolant to the system. When adding coolant to maintain the correct level, do
so only at the reserve/overflow bottle. Remove the radiator cap only for testing or when refilling the system after
service. Removing the cap unnecessarily can cause loss of coolant and allow air to enter the system, which produces
corrosion.
WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE OR LOOSEN THE RADIATOR CAP WITH THE COOLING SYSTEM HOT AND
UNDER PRESSURE. SERIOUS BURNS FROM THE COOLANT OR HIGH PRESSURE STEAM CAN OCCUR.
SPECIFICATIONS
TORQUE
DESCRIPTION N·m Ft. Lbs. In. Lbs.
Bolt - Automatic Belt Tensioner to Block 41 30 -
Bolt - Automatic Belt Tensioner Pulley 61 45 -
Bolt - Automatic Belt Tensioner Pulley - Diesel 43 32 -
Engine Mounted Fan Shroud Brackets (Upper and Lower) 24 18 -
Fan Shroud Ring to Fan Shroud Brackets 24 18 -
Bolt - Block Heater 2 - 17
Bolts - Generator/Compressor Mounting Bracket
# 1 and 2 54 40 -
# 3 40 30 -
Bolts - Generator/Compressor Mounting Bracket - Diesel 24 18 -
Bolts - Fan Shroud to Radiator Mounting - All Except 5.9L
Diesel
6 - 55
5.9L Diesel 11.8 - 105
Bolts - Radiator to Support 8.5 - 75
Bolts - Fan Blade to Viscous Fan Drive 24 18 -
Fan Drive - All Except 8.0L/5.9L Diesel 50 37 -
8.0L/5.9L Diesel 115 85 -
Bolt - Idler Pulley 54 40 -
Bolt - Idler Pulley - Diesel 43 32 -
Bolts - Thermostat Housing - All Except 5.9L Diesel 13 - 112
Bolts - Thermostat Housing 5.9L 23 16 -
Bolts - Thermostat Housing - Diesel 10 - 89
Bolts - Power Steering Oil Cooler 8.4 - 75
Bolts - Transmission Auxiliary Oil Cooler 6 - 55
Nuts - Transmission Oil Cooler Tube 31.5 24 -
Bolts - Coolant Bottle 8.5 - 75
Tube Nuts - Transmission Oil Cooler to Transmission
5.9L/46RE 31.5 24 -
3.7L/4.7L/5.7L/45RFE 20 18 -
Bolts - Water Pump - Diesel 24 18 -
Bolts - Water Pump - 4.7L 58 43 -
Block Heater - Diesel 75 55 -
Transmission Oil Cooler - Diesel
M8 24 18 -
M12 77 57 -
7 - 22 COOLING

DR/DH

SPECIFICATIONS - FILL VOLUMES
DESCRIPTION SPECIFICATION
Metric Standard
3.7/4.7L/5.7L Engine 15.4L 16.2 qts.- to the middle of the cold
fill range
8.3L SRT-10 Engine 18.9L 20 qts.

5.9L Diesel Engine 28L 29.5 qts.

Quick Reply: Replaced my Radiator..now what?