3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I identify backup light wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 AM
RockyRR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I identify backup light wiring?

I'm trying to install a backup camera and I need to splice into the backup light wiring. I've pulled off the rear driver's side stop/backup light assembly, but without a wiring diagram I can't tell which is the backup light wiring and ground. Can anyone tell me the wiring colors or point me to a wiring diagram?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Denniss66
Veteran

hook the ground wire up to a ground spot like the metal frame. and for the positive wire you should be able to attach it to either wire because once you turn the back up lights on/ put it in reverse it will complete the circuit that would be the easiest way to go about it i believe i got a back up cam for my truck too but i haven't installed it yet.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 AM
RockyRR

Originally Posted by Denniss66
hook the ground wire up to a ground spot like the metal frame. and for the positive wire you should be able to attach it to either wire because once you turn the back up lights on/ put it in reverse it will complete the circuit that would be the easiest way to go about it i believe i got a back up cam for my truck too but i haven't installed it yet.
I understand what you're saying about the ground wire, but not the other. There are 3 or 4 wires (different colors) going into the light assembly. I assume one for the stop light, parking/running lights, and the other for the backup light. I'm trying to figure out which wire is the backup light wire.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2010, 04:21 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not pull the rear lamp assy and begin the trace forward for the BUp 12+ lead? Or am I missing something here with the ????

My MFG OEM shop manual says for the '04 Ram starting at the BUp switch; wire is #18 WT/LG ( white/lightGreen ) Left Lamp.
Turn sig. #18 WT/DG "
Brake #18 DG/WT "

Last edited by oneHEMI57; 09-17-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the seven-wire trailer harness, it'll be the center pin.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

What year is your truck?
Reverse wire is ontop of the driver fender towards the firewall in the group of wires. It's a white w/green trace. Probe it to make sure before tapping into it. To do so, put your truck in acc with the parking brake applied and shift into reverse(not running) this will allow you to verify 12v applied signal. You may be able to grab it under the dash, but the wires are tied tightly.
Also, as Mike stated, you could tap into the trailer plug as well. Just make sure you use the right T-splice or you'll end up cutting the wire and severing it.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:54 PM
RockyRR

Originally Posted by oneHEMI57
Why not pull the rear lamp assy and begin the trace forward for the BUp 12+ lead? Or am I missing something here with the ????

My MFG OEM shop manual says for the '04 Ram starting at the BUp switch; wire is #18 WT/LG ( white/lightGreen ) Left Lamp.
Turn sig. #18 WT/DG "
Brake #18 DG/WT "
I took off the lamp assembly, but I can't figure out how to unplug the harness. Thanks for the wire color lead.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 PM
RockyRR

Originally Posted by dirtydog
What year is your truck?
Reverse wire is ontop of the driver fender towards the firewall in the group of wires. It's a white w/green trace. Probe it to make sure before tapping into it. To do so, put your truck in acc with the parking brake applied and shift into reverse(not running) this will allow you to verify 12v applied signal. You may be able to grab it under the dash, but the wires are tied tightly.
Also, as Mike stated, you could tap into the trailer plug as well. Just make sure you use the right T-splice or you'll end up cutting the wire and severing it.

My 1500 is a 2006. Thanks for the feedback. Now I have more info to go on.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM
RockyRR

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
If you have the seven-wire trailer harness, it'll be the center pin.
I never thought about using the trailer harness. I think my harness is a small one with only 3 or 4 connectios.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 PM
black shadow
Veteran

the eisiest way is to put your truck in reverse and use a test light and probe the two wires going into the reverse socket and prestow you have the hot wire, that is How I didminel

Quick Reply: How do I identify backup light wiring?