3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Ram 4X4 Lower Ball Joint Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010 | 07:38 PM
BigWoody
|
Default 2002 Ram 4X4 Lower Ball Joint Question

So I have the truck in the garage and I have removed the tie rod end (Needs Replacing). Removed the upper ball joint and have removed the Knuckle. Now I am looking at the lower control arm and the lower ball joint. Does it press out from the top? It has this lip around it and then a concave surround with that little hat in the middle. It looks like I need to press it out from the top down but really wanted to make sure before I screw up my lower control arm.

Old 09-17-2010 | 08:31 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

my 03 i pushed it out from the top i just pounded it out with a hammer but yes it should press out from the top.

Old 09-18-2010 | 03:36 AM
abarmby
Champion

Do these lower ball joints have a snap ring on them like most others?
If so, you might want to make sure it's removed before either pressing or pounding.
Al.

Old 09-18-2010 | 12:23 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

no these ball joints don't have a snap ring the new ones will have a snap ring to put on but these should just press out.

Old 09-18-2010 | 12:24 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

if you removed the upper control arm i believe you will need a wheel alignment when your done but i guess you will need one if your doing your tie rod ends as well.

Old 09-18-2010 | 12:31 PM
abarmby
Champion
Originally Posted by Denniss66
no these ball joints don't have a snap ring the new ones will have a snap ring to put on but these should just press out.
I need to do this to my 03, as I've found both my tie rod ends, upper control arm bushes and track rod ends were completely goosed. I've got to assume therefore, that the lower ball joints are also toast if the other stuff was so bad?
My stabiliser bar bushings and the stabiliser link bushes are also perished and I'm goiung to replace those as well.
I read that the Dodge manual says to "press in the new ball joints" and "stake the ball joint flange in 4 evenly spaced places, around the flange with a hammer and chisel".
I guess I'll just go with the snap ring supplied with my ball joints.
Al.

Quick Reply: 2002 Ram 4X4 Lower Ball Joint Question