3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Toolbox Locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:34 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toolbox Locks

hey yall i just bought a 03 dodge ram this past week. the dealership did not have the key for the toolbox in the back and there is no brand name on it. do dodge dealerships install toolboxes? i didn't see a chrysler symbol though..anyway, my other question is can these locks be replaced? i was looking in the box tonight, and i don't really see how the assembly can be removed. i would really like to use this box especially with all my gear. here are some pics with a code on the lock. don't know if it helps. thanks

Name:  IMG_0165.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  162.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0192.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  174.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0196.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  78.8 KB

i typed in that "code" in google and it came up with some options. my question is why would they sell generic keys? for example, i could go up to someones toolbox and get this code and order that key....doesn't make sense. can some one please clarify. thanks

Last edited by truegent81; 09-18-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:03 PM
mopar74
Professional
Default Common Locks!

truegent,

Most locks for the tool boxes are made by the same manufacturers of shop lockers, desks locks, and much much more.

A LONG time ago I found this out the hard way when a contractor bet me he could get into my new at the time tool box. I bet the whole crew coffee and donuts that he could not. I lost.

I went to the dealer that sold me the toolbox and he confirmed there are only a certain amount of locks that are carried.

I had him switch that one out immediately and headed to my local locksmith.

I had all three of the tool box locks switched out with MEDECO high security locks.

You have a very common lock. I would go to the closest dealer and get a temp key and then find a locksmith.

good luck,

Matt

Old 09-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya if you can figure out what company the box is that number will get you a key

Old 09-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Lecrict
Professional

A locksmith will get them open in about 2 min. Then like mentioned above, get the MEDECO's or the Locksmith can just re key them. Again a good lock smith will have ya done in a matter of min.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

I actually have a set of CH509 keys from a toolbox i dont use anymore. If there is a shop that installs toolboxes they should have a set of CH509 keys for like 3 or 4 bucks. But yeah you can pretty much get that number code off of any toolbox and get the keys with that code and unlock that toolbox. UWS, along with alot of other toolboxes are this way. The locks can be removed/replaced. I believe there is a nut on back side of the latch holding them in.

Last edited by badblackram06; 09-19-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lecrict
A locksmith will get them open in about 2 min. Then like mentioned above, get the MEDECO's or the Locksmith can just re key them. Again a good lock smith will have ya done in a matter of min.
That's how I got a key for my tonneau cover.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackram06
I actually have a set of CH509 keys from a toolbox i dont use anymore. If there is a shop that installs toolboxes they should have a set of CH509 keys for like 3 or 4 bucks. But yeah you can pretty much get that number code off of any toolbox and get the keys with that code and unlock that toolbox. UWS, along with alot of other toolboxes are this way. The locks can be removed/replaced. I believe there is a nut on back side of the latch holding them in.
Agreed, almost any shop that sells tool boxes can get or has sets of keys to fit. When I got my box it didnt have keys either. A local shop has them and cost $5

I use CH507 though.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 PM
bamataco
Veteran

If your in a hurry just drill out the lock. Then go to a local lock shop, almost all of them sell locks for this application. These locks are very easily installed.

Quick Reply: Toolbox Locks