3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Differntial question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sbsga
if you are wanting to regear then go for it, but it takes an extreme amount of force and use to damage gears enough to create noticable sounds. i dont think its very likely that you have a bad pinion or ring gear at 65k. unless they were defective, but i highly doubt it. i would still have pinion depth and carrier tension checked first.

You obviously haven't seen any of the pics that guys have posted of their ring and pinion AFTER a broken clip has been grinded in them for a few thousand miles. I held Pyro's gears in my hand when they came out of his carrier. Couldn't believe they were still working at all. The tech said he couldn't believe the truck made the 40 some mile trip from his place to the shop!

Originally Posted by RamDude61
Also I pull a boat as well, what gears would you recommend?
Stock size tires with light towing = 4.10s, Tires at 33" or over OR heavy towing/hauling OR just wanted to lay rubber at the track = 4.56s

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-21-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 AM
areinike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't you usually recommend some install kit as well? I'm thinking of getting the $99 master install kit with the shims and bearings and all along with some 4.56 gears. Is it usually, "hey while you're in there, replace the bearings." or one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" deals? I don't have any noise, grumbles or complaints from back there so hard to say I guess. Plus only have about 49K miles on my 2003.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yes, rule of thumb is if you have under 30k miles on your diff you use the minor install kit and anything over you use the major...

Old 09-22-2010, 01:00 PM
areinike
Veteran

Sounds like the plan.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:47 AM
sbsga
Professional

You obviously haven't seen any of the pics that guys have posted of their ring and pinion AFTER a broken clip has been grinded in them for a few thousand miles. I held Pyro's gears in my hand when they came out of his carrier. Couldn't believe they were still working at all. The tech said he couldn't believe the truck made the 40 some mile trip from his place to the shop!
I agree that a foreign object such as clips could do a number, but if that is not a factor and the mesh patterns are proper it would take a hell of a lot of force to damage a well made gear(190k miles and mine were worn but still quiet and had life left in them). all im saying is if your diff is noisy it doesnt hurt to throw some paint on the ring and check the pattern

also if you do re-gear and have some funds left-over,,, a mag hytech dif cover is always fun, 5 quarts of fluid will definitely help keep your dif cooler when your are towing, plus changing your fluid is easier with the drain plug and dipstick...

http://www.mag-hytec.com/store/index...31efbaf03241bd

Last edited by sbsga; 09-23-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yep, a Mag Hytech or PML cover is a good investment, especially if you tow/haul a lot.

The only issue I have is with the drain, I think you need to take the opportunity for a visual inspection at fluid change time...

Old 09-23-2010, 06:29 PM
sbsga
Professional

good point, i have one of those makita scope things that has the camera on it with the light, maybe that will prove to be a good alternative

Quick Reply: Differntial question