3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Differntial question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:01 PM
RamDude61
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differntial question

I have 2002 quad 2wd 65k miles.
I know there is issues with the clutch pack clips I've read most of the post. I just had work done on mine. My truck started with the howling in the rear end. BAsically I had carrier pack replaced and all bears. The ring and pinion gears were not replaced. The tech did show me the wear marks and said if I can stand a slight noise they would be fine. So I decided not to spend another $800 in parts plus labor.
My question is should howling that I hear now be worst then originally? I'm wondering if he may of set the backlash or shimmed it wrong.
Has anyone complained to dodge that is out of warranty and have they rectify?
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

EVERYONE complains about it. Falls on deaf ears just like the dash cracks of the 2nd Gens and early 3rd Gens that Chrysler will lie to your face and tell you "never heard of that happening before".

It's not just Chrysler though, Ford denies there are head problems with the 6.0 PowerJoke or that the 5.4s strip out plugs and literally blow them through the hood as well. Chevy radiators rust through in what seems like the first month out of warranty on about every model they make. I could go on and on.

Although I'd say if anything the ring and pinion should not be any louder after removing the clips but I'd tend to say it wouldn't be any quieter either. It's very common for the backlash to not be set correctly on this rear end, even by guys with a good bit of experience. Seems that if a guy is not a guru with this specific rear end, it gives fits.

If he removed them and put them back in, it's a good bit the backlash is off a tad...

Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
RamDude61

Hammer, The tech was suppose to top guru and he replaced the whole assembly differential case or carrier pack. Whatever it's called. lol plus all the bearings and seals.

BTW - yes my dash is split all the way through.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 PM
sbsga
Professional

your howling noise should not have anything to do with your clips or clutchpack for that matter, removing the clips only prevents from them messing something else up. I would agree with hammer, pinion depth is more than likely off, or the carrier tension is not set correctly in my oppinion. when i changed my gears and rebuilt my diff, i had a whining before caused by fudged carrier bearings(caused by the clutch alignment clips getting stuck in one of them), I took my time and made sure everything was set correctly and now i have no noises.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 AM
RamDude61

Update I called another dealer and they are telling that even if you can't see the wear marks the howling can exists, he saying the ring and pinion could be bad. Is anyone reading this a rear end guru and have any suggestion on how to address this. My service writer is out today I will contact him tomorrow and explain my disatisfaction. It is my fault for not test drivning before paying. I just want it fix right with out being raped.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:17 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Gears are cheap, the labor is what's expensive. If you are gonna have to pay someone to go back in there because of the whine anyway, make sure it's a very good tech who has experience with AAM axles and buy the $200 ring and pinion new.

To me, it's worth $200 for peace of mind...

oh, and while I was at it, and because the cost would be no different, I'd upgrade to at least 4.10s...

Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 AM
RamDude61

Thanks Hammer! Where do you suggest to get the parts? I haven't the ring and pinion that cheap anywhere. DodgePartsonline.net

Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Well normally I'd say Moe's Performance, but he seems to be having issues shipping at the moment, so I'd say Airram.com. Very good reputation, passionate Ram guy and last I checked, he was selling Chrysler 9.25" Rear Ring and Pinion for under $200 with free shipping... and gears are HEAVY!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:10 AM
RamDude61

Also I pull a boat as well, what gears would you recommend?

Old 09-21-2010, 03:38 PM
sbsga
Professional

if you are wanting to regear then go for it, but it takes an extreme amount of force and use to damage gears enough to create noticable sounds. i dont think its very likely that you have a bad pinion or ring gear at 65k. unless they were defective, but i highly doubt it. i would still have pinion depth and carrier tension checked first.

Quick Reply: Differntial question