3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Blower not spinning...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 PM
theorangeguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Blower not spinning...

This was my previous problem...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...bag-light.html

NOW I have the compressor working with no issues what so ever and my airbag light is no longer on or beeping. The issue now is my blower for my A/C is not spinning when I turn the **** to adjust the speed...I pulled the variable resistor for the blower and it was pretty coroded so I went ahead and replaced it but I still get no air out of my vents and the blower wont spin...One thing I found interesting is when I turn the **** to adjust the air speed the voltage for that switch drops to pretty much nothing...is that normal?

Need some ideas from the A/C guys before I start calling around for estimates....

Old 09-22-2010, 07:14 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Just to clarify, we are talking about the inside fan blower for the vents.

The resistor block and wires is a great place to start. With the **** setting on high, the fan gets 12-14v (depends on if the engine is running or not) and at lower settings, each speed have reduced voltage. Thats how the fan goes faster or slower.

So if you have 12v+ on the high speed wires and less than that on each other lower speed wire, then the power is there, the controls are working, the wires are good.

That leaves the resistor or the blower motor. My bet would be the blower motor. Usually a bad resistor would mean 3 out of 4 speeds work meaning one part of the resistor is burnt out.

So go pull that blower motor and hit it will 12v from the battery and see if it spins of not.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:39 PM
theorangeguy

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Just to clarify, we are talking about the inside fan blower for the vents.

The resistor block and wires is a great place to start. With the **** setting on high, the fan gets 12-14v (depends on if the engine is running or not) and at lower settings, each speed have reduced voltage. Thats how the fan goes faster or slower.

So if you have 12v+ on the high speed wires and less than that on each other lower speed wire, then the power is there, the controls are working, the wires are good.

That leaves the resistor or the blower motor. My bet would be the blower motor. Usually a bad resistor would mean 3 out of 4 speeds work meaning one part of the resistor is burnt out.

So go pull that blower motor and hit it will 12v from the battery and see if it spins of not.
Pulled the blower motor and plugged it up to a 12v source and it didnt move at all...im assuming that means the blower motor is shot...

Old 09-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Ratbike1

Originally Posted by theorangeguy
Pulled the blower motor and plugged it up to a 12v source and it didnt move at all...im assuming that means the blower motor is shot...

Yes.

Great write up Weed!

Old 09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

yes. get a replacement and be done and enjoy the a/c again!!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 06:02 PM
theorangeguy

after hammering out like 5 different problems which eventually led to the blower motor going out as well, I got everything replaced and im up and running again.

Airbag light = gone
Compressor = working
Variable Resistor = replaced
Blower = replaced

Cold cab again...priceless...

Quick Reply: A/C Blower not spinning...