3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing blue film from gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:52 PM
bartvandenberg
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing blue film from gauges?

Anyone know how or found out how to remove that blue film from your gauges which makes them green?

Is there a DIY somewhere for it? I cant seem to find anything on it, and hopefully someone here knows how to remove it safely (without wrecking $hi!)

I want to put in white gauges, but they will stay blueish if I dont remove the film.

Plus, is there a household item (homemade) that I could use to change the odometer and gear screen to blue or white? Those are 2 pieces I really dont want to screw up so an experts advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, If i remove the needles, do i need to put them back on exactly the same, or do they reset anyway? cause if i tilt it to the right, all the needles go to the right...as in they go according to where gravity takes them, so very hard to get them back exactly where they came off.
I did it years ago with my 1996 MX-6, and as far as i know, they didnt care where they went back on.

ANYONE>??

Last edited by bartvandenberg; 09-22-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

If yours are like mine on the Dakota you are so S.O.L. I wanted to change the color on my dash and i was told something about the cluster been electroluminicent. No bulbs or nothing to change!

Old 09-22-2010, 06:23 PM
bartvandenberg
Professional

Originally Posted by dakota_raven
If yours are like mine on the Dakota you are so S.O.L. I wanted to change the color on my dash and i was told something about the cluster been electroluminicent. No bulbs or nothing to change!
No.. I know it takes 11 bulbs in the dash, and 3 in the climate control.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i haven't done it but when i had mine apart looks like you can just pull it off, but you would have to get a white film or it won't look good, the odometer and gear selector i think your sol, not sure on the needles

Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

There are some threads on here and on DT of guys who have pulled their cluster out and replaced both bad bulbs and changed the paper film to change the colors. I have seen one or two that did the gauges also

Quick Reply: Removing blue film from gauges?