3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time for new tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 PM
itshemitime
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new tires.

Well i believe its time for new tires. I have the lonestar edition on my truck with the stock 20 inch rims and tires. Im moving towards performance on my truck. Should I downgrade to smaller wheels and tires? I dont really haul anything. Biggest thing i haul is my 07 raptor in the bed of my truck. Thoughts? concerns? suggestions?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Why fix what isnt broken? I mean you could change out but you will need that tuner you are asking about in your other thread to re-calibrate you speed.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM
butch1581
Captain

trade in your raptor for a YFZ
Do you want an offroad type tire or street?
Why would you downgrade to a smaller setup? Only reason to do that would be if you DO tow. If you are lookging for performance get a tuner or a supercharger...or a CTD

Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 PM
itshemitime
Amateur

Sorry theirs a slight possibility that I could be borderline retarted. Maybe im not wording it right. I guess what I'm asking is should i stick with my stock 20 inch wheels, or would dropping to say 17 or 18 inch rims with perhaps some low pro tires increase the performance of my truck in regards to power and speed.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:58 PM
itshemitime
Amateur

Originally Posted by butch1581
trade in your raptor for a YFZ
Do you want an offroad type tire or street?
Why would you downgrade to a smaller setup? Only reason to do that would be if you DO tow. If you are lookging for performance get a tuner or a supercharger...or a CTD
I love my raptor. And id like a more of an aggressive look to my tires without going to large, but my upmost concern is performance.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:28 PM
butch1581
Captain

If you want speed and performance I guess you would want to goto a smaller wheel and tire. It will effectively lower your gear ratio and lighten up the "mass" you are trying to turn. Don't go too small or it will look goofy. I went from 20" stock rims down to 18" but I have 35" tires. My setup is heavier than stock. I would go with like an 18" rim with some cooper Zeons or something. Just my opinion.

My buddy had a Raptor and he got sick of me spanking him.....he now has a YFZ.
Quads are a blast!

Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah if you want speed and to feel more power then go small and lighter. Drop the truck, lose a lot of weight, do the supporting more and get a tuner

Old 09-23-2010, 01:46 PM
itshemitime
Amateur

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Yeah if you want speed and to feel more power then go small and lighter. Drop the truck, lose a lot of weight, do the supporting more and get a tuner
If thats the case then ill definately get the smaller wheels and tires. When you said drop the truck did you mean literally lower it or just saying drop it as put the smaller wheels and tires on it. How much does it cost to lower a truck and is it alot of work to do on your own? And if i lowered it i wouldnt want to lower it too much. Doesn't look right on a truck.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Drop the rear with simple drop shackles, go with 17" ALUMINUM wheels and slightly smaller tires...

Old 09-23-2010, 02:59 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I was going to suggest aluminum but didnt know the stock 17s were that or steel?? I had aluminum 22s and they were very light. But i was talking about lowering the entire truck but it just all depends on how hardcore you want to get.

If it were me and I had a RC HEMI, it would be dropped with a boosted 392. But alas, Im broke.

Quick Reply: Time for new tires.