3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dealer finally says truck has shipped... Yea!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Avanti
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer finally says truck has shipped... Yea!

Why we "love" car dealers... part xx (fill in whatever fits for you):

It's been seven weeks since we ordered a truck to tow my wife's race car. I was told it would be 4-6 weeks; no big deal since a friend ordered his about a year ago, was told the same, and it took eight weeks. I've ordered many vehicles and know it can take a while (one took over 4 months). But, I expect to be updated as to the status.

It had been over a month since I was by the dealership for another reason and talked with my salesperson (who knew nothing and wasn't eager to try to find more). Since the original time-frame had lapsed and I'd still heard nothing, I stopped by and asked for my salesperson.

What I heard was, "Huh? Never heard of him." Well, that's great... and certainly confidence inspiring.

Finally, the latest new guy (aren't they all?) found someone who found someone else who said, "Oh yeah, he's been gone a month or so. He was here a couple months and left. What do you want? OH, you say you've something on-order?"

I replied, "Yeah, I hope so. Don't you do any follow-up or check on your staff's pending orders/sales when they leave?"

Ha, ha, ha... HA. What a novel idea. You'd think I'd just started talking Swahili.

Anyway, eventually they got their heads or something together and told me that yes our truck was ordered okay and already built (and had been for a while) and was shipped. "It'll be here today, tomorrow, or soon, anyway."

I guess I'm just needlessly picky and have spent too much time as a business consultant, but is this anyway to run a railroad? When I worked in dealerships as a kid (admittedly longer ago than I care to... admit), things were very different. People bought from the same person repeatedly and the businesses did what it took to establish that kind of relationship.

This is a small town dealership and I've bought a goodly number of vehicles from these people and never from the same person twice. I've never even seen the same salesperson twice. They hire kids on the cheap and none stick around long enough to develop a client base or customer skills (I should have been leary when the kid we ordered with asked me for job leads in his field)--and more to the point, the dealership doesn't seem to care who sells vehicles or what happens to them. In a large city with a gigantic potential customer base typically going wherever the price is a few bucks less, this might be acceptable business practice. But, not everywhere. And, they wonder why we love 'em!

btw: we ordered a mineral gray 1500 ST, reg cab, hemi, 3.92 limited-slip, tow-package, and cruise (nothing else). I wanted as light as possible and easy to clean out.

Just venting, I suppose. All the best.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Hemi_Chris
Professional
Default RE: Dealer finally says truck has shipped... Yea!

A few weeks after you take delivery, you're going to receive a questionaire in the mail asking you to evaluate the dealership, service, etc. Fill it out, be honest, and mail it back in. DC does pay attention to these, and enough of the "bad" ones will prompt them to have a little talk with that dealership's owner.

You could always talk to the owner yourself or even call DC directly.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:04 AM
Avanti
Captain

Chris:

You're certainly more optimistic about the impact of owner questionnaires than I. Realizing nothing can change if feedback is not provided in a positive and helpful manner, I always fill out all questionnaires, being specific about both problems and what is done well (occasionally this does happen). I've yet to see any consequences.

When I've had good dealership experiences, especially with particular employees, I'll dropped a note to that effect to the owner. When I've had problems I'll send a letter. I always get a reply to my problem letters, typically to the tune, "Woe is me for having such problems." By many people's standards I've a lot of vehicles and they are from a variety of dealerships. There are some dealerships I'll drive 40-65 miles out of my way to avoid, because I have repeatedly had problems and nothing has changed.

But, sure... as you suggest, I'll keep returning the manufacturer questionnaires. Have you, or anyone here, EVER known a "Five Star Dealership" to lose that highly touted status?

All the best and thanks for the comment.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:34 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Yes, there have been dealerships that have lost the 5star status. If it is a 5star dealer then they should have a dedicated customer service person from DC working there, at least mine did.

I worked at a dealership as a salesperson before returning to school. It is long hours and crappy pay. There are always new "green peas" as they are called working at the dealership b/c there is such a high turn-over rate. This being said, all of the leaving employees sustomer's files should be handled by a senior sales member. When I left I called all of my previous customers and sent them a letter stating that I was leaving and that xx senior member could help them in the future. I think that customer service is paramount in today's business.

It is still crap that they don't know what the hell is going on. If anyone knows the desk manager should. I would definitely find a new dealership in the future.

Congrats on the future arrival of your new tow vehicle. Will you be adding any other equipment to it for towing?

Old 06-01-2005, 01:43 PM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker

i always fill one out when i go get my truck changed its oil at dodge. its quite a waste of my time, but i understand why they ask you to fill it. ... i guess it feels like a homework assingment.. like UGh crap work.. :\

Quick Reply: Dealer finally says truck has shipped... Yea!