3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I Smell Gas!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Splinterhands
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Smell Gas!

Post #1
About a year ago my engine light came on. I took it to Advanced Auto and their computer said it was " Evaporative Emissions - Small Leak". The guy said don't worry abour it unless I smelled gas. Well, now I smell gas, but only after I fill up the tank. Has anybody ever had this happen or know if this is a common problem? Could the dealer find out where it's coming from?

Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

you can check the fuel lines, maybe one of the lines is loose.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Denniss66
Veteran

i just seen a guy at a shop scan that same thing on a neon. he said it was a vacuum leak. wasn't there long enough to see if he found the problem.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You can check the evap can under the truck and by the fuel tank and see if it is full of fuel (which it should not be)

Old 09-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Ratbike1

Originally Posted by weedahoe
You can check the evap can under the truck and by the fuel tank and see if it is full of fuel (which it should not be)

This is, from what I understand, the most common problem. It is not mine however, and I don't have a smoke machine to go looking for vacuum leaks. I have the same CEL and occasional gas smell in the cab. Please let me know if you track it down.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by weedahoe

^^^^^That's the first thing I thought. Just check that out. You can't miss it, it's right near the tank. Easy to spot.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Splinterhands

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
^^^^^That's the first thing I thought. Just check that out. You can't miss it, it's right near the tank. Easy to spot.
If it's full of fuel can I disconnect it and empty it? Or will I need a new one.

I'm guilty of squeezing the gas pump handle to get the tank as full as possible.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

If you've had problems before with this, you may want to try to drain it, but if it's been flooded for too long, I THINK may need to replace it. You may also want to see if any of the lines going to and from it have just been damaged/cracked and need replacing.

Quick Reply: I Smell Gas!