3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

custom painting tail light

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was both. It was on the '06 tails and I thought he bought a kit from a newer tail light setup and retrofit them onto his.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Matt99
Champion

yea you can pull them apart but I heard its a BITCH getting them apart and back together because the plastic cracks really easy in most aftermarket sets...

If I were you, I would dust a set of LED clear tails. Kind of how a film of dust sets over something in your house, you have your gun about 2ft away at a very high pressure and low volume of paint and just dust your lights in VERY light coats to match...some people take a light bulb and put it inside the housing to gauge the visibility while painting. It looks great once done, and in most cases wont harm your light output very much. obviously you could do a few coats and then cover the area in front of your bulbs to keep your last coats of paint from sticking

with a set of clear tails it would work great, hard to cover the red stockers though

Last edited by Matt99; 09-28-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:41 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Schmeezie
I dnt get how this is worthless, y do u need pics of my headlights when I'm asking about can you pull the tail lights apart the same way by heating them up. I dnt need 2 post pics of my headlights again.lol anyone else maybe
WOW!!! HOLD ON THERE PRINCESS!!! I'm sorry i hurt your sensible feelings!! I was asking for pics because there are barely no white trucks with the painted head lights mod done. I got a white truck and wanted to see how it looked!!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Schmeezie
Rookie

So the plastic cracks even when their pliable and hot from the oven? Thats the last thing i want to happen is spend like $150.00 on LED tails and then have them crack on me.lol I just know that the white, instead of black, would look so sweet with the LEDs. damn

Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Schmeezie
Rookie

Originally Posted by dakota_raven
WOW!!! HOLD ON THERE PRINCESS!!! I'm sorry i hurt your sensible feelings!! I was asking for pics because there are barely no white trucks with the painted head lights mod done. I got a white truck and wanted to see how it looked!!!!

Dude, im not here to get in a pissing match.lol If you want some pics just holler. LMAO

Old 09-28-2010, 04:56 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Schmeezie
Dude, im not here to get in a pissing match.lol If you want some pics just holler. LMAO

Hey! don't be like that!! i'm just kidding. i didn't meant to steal your thread from the topic at hand! And thanks for the pic on the previous post. They look Awesome!!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Matt99
Champion

the point of heating them up is not to make the plastic pliable, its to melt the rtv holding them together...

and cheap plastic hardens in heat, making it more likely to crack than to bend...If you want to try it and dont like my dusting idea I would find a set of cheap altezetta lights off of craigslist for $20 or so and practice

Old 09-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Schmeezie
Rookie

Touche sir, Touche.

Quick Reply: custom painting tail light