3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bed cover ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:03 AM
mill500
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bed cover ?

I bought a Truxedo LoProfile from TruckXrpressions and was very satisfied with them and the cover. I've got the Graphite Metallic paint and ordered the gray colored cover--it was about 2 shades too light, so I just got some vinyl paint from an auto paint dealer to match the Graphite and shot it with my HVLP gun, and instant match. (if you're thinking about colors on it, order a sample first to make sure you like the color--they're non returnable except in black--or just spray it with the vinyl paint for a match)

I really like the Truxedo as it rolls up so you can still haul big stuff without having to get 2 guys to remove a hard cover. The supports stay connected and it rolls up and back down in about 30 secs. Not to sound like a commercial for TruckXpressions, but I've bought that and my tube steps from them and had no problems at all. Check their website out if interested.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Truckxpressions
Veteran

Great idea with the paint, i wouldnt have thought about painting the vinyl.

Most any of the soft covers will fit with an OTR bedliner but some holes must be drilled into the bedliner so that the clamps can go through and touch the truck rails.
The Lo-pro covers, Extang RT or Truxedo Lo-pro, will fit but will not sit correctly with the OTR, and getting a proper seal may be tough. Any or the covers that sit on top the rail will fit fine after you drill the 3 two inch holes on each side of the bedliner.

The Truxedo colors are available in different colors and you can contact Truxedo at 1-877-878-9336 to order a sample of the vinyl in the color you think you want.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Wideglide2K

What do you mean "Undercover makes a nice cover but its almost cheesy IMO" They state you put 600 lbs plus on top of it. I had a Extang on my 96 Ram. It was OK but here in Mass the temp changes in the winter can be bad. You take them off when it is warm and then try to put them back on at night you are in for a bad time.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:34 PM
ditchdoc
Rookie

How about this one will it work with a OTR Genesisâ„¢ Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover?

Old 06-02-2005, 03:02 PM
goodestuff

to me truckexpressions is a little higher on certain things. I getting ready to buy some exterior items from autotruckstoys.com. they have quite a few things to pick from.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:26 PM
bign1976
Veteran

Downey SST cover. I have had on on all 3 of my trucks. Last FOREVER!!! Buddy of mine has one on a 93 Ranger and still looks great. www.downeyproducts.com

Old 06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Truckxpressions
Veteran

Wideglide: IMO i think it looks like a cheap cover because its plastic and just the overall look doesnt appeal to me, its not a bad cover, im just not a fan of it, especially when for another $100 you can get a fiberglass one painted to match.

Ditchdoc: The tri-fold will fit with an OTR but it wont fit well and takes a little extra time to install because you have to mess with the alignment of it when installing on an OTR. The easiest cover to install and the best cover to keep 99% of the water out will be something that has a frame that sits on top the rails, likethe Extang Full Tilt or Platinum cover or anything like those.

Goodestuff: We try to keep our prices competitive with everyone else out there and if you are interested in something on my site that you have found cheaper elsewhere, give me a call and ill see what i can do, we price everything based on our buy-ins.

bign1976: We sold Downey for a while and had great success with them, other than they were slow to ship. They were a very inexpensive cover and while we sold them, seemed to hold up. The only thing i didnt like about them had nothing to do with the cover or the quality of it but their warranty is only 1 yr, when you go with Extang you get a 10 yr and several other of the companies are 5 to 7 years. Once again, nothing wrong with the covers though.

Old 06-05-2005, 03:39 AM
Avanti
Captain

RamObsessed:

Look at Checkmate's tonneaus, the "Fast Break II," and the "Slim Top," for a few.

Maybe what you're looking for. I found another I'd not heard of when looking at the Fast Break II on Google--you might run across there, too. Sorry, I don't remember its name.

Good luck.

Old 06-05-2005, 03:29 PM
RamObsessed

Thanks Avanti

Old 06-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Offroad Hemi
Rookie

I was looking at getting a Truxedo Lo-Pro, I looked all over the internet and found the lowest price on ebay which was $310 which included shipping. That same price covered all the colors. I looked and found the average to be under $400 but some sold the Lo-Pro for $449. I have the SB/QC 1500. Do you homework and you can get a better price than most places on the net offer it. Without shopping you could pay $100 more than needed.

Quick Reply: bed cover ?