3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy here. Advice please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

In a "canned tune" tuner, I think the Superchips is the best option right now. If you plan on big time mods (cam, heads, etc.) then you'll want one that can be custom tuned (Diablo, SCT). But I think the canned tuned on the Diablo is a bit behind the Superchips, especially when it comes to tranny tuning.
Anything up to and including headers and a SC would be fine.

Most start (and some end) with the "Big 3": Tuner, CAI and cat back Exhaust.

As 'Weedahoe said, lots of good info in the FAQ section... Look hard at the CFM rate in aftermarket mufflers, some "big name" units are actually MORE restrictive than your stock muffler...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-04-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:20 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

superchips 3865 or cortex i believe the 3950 is the cortex for rams or hemi's....price difference is about 150 and the diff is cortex has a trans warrany for the orig owner of the truck for xxx miles i beleive....the 3865 is plenty imho....

Old 10-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Steve/06 Hemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well got the CAI today(K&N)and it made a big difference!!! I'm sure it added a few HP but the bigger difference is the throttle response and it sounds way meaner. Was just out for a joy ride and this dude in a F150 tried racing me at the light and i smoked him! Then at the next light he wouldn't pull all the way up next to me. It was pretty funny. One weird thing is i started to hear this noise like my truck was burping a little bit,anyone ever heard of this it wasn't bad just kinda annoying. Gonna try and order the Superchips programmer for it tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how that goes when i get it. Will post some pics when everything is done.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:32 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on the kill. Look around on the net first and the classifieds here and other Dodge boards and see if you can find one at a good price.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:47 PM
bartvandenberg
Professional

Originally Posted by Steve/06 Hemi
F150 tried racing me at the light and i smoked him!
I don't want to burst your bubble, but this should be normal for the HEMI
I blew away an f350 diesel the other day.

One weird thing is i started to hear this noise like my truck was burping a little bit,anyone ever heard of this it wasn't bad just kinda annoying.
Don't understand what burping could sound like. Mine whistles like a banshee though (which is normal)

Gonna try and order the Superchips programmer for it tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how that goes when i get it.
Like Weedahoe suggested....look in the classified's first. I got my cortex for $200 CAD locally, and it worked perfectly. Saved myself like 50% off retail.

If you like the CAI power upgrade, you'll like the superchips extra bit of punch, specially with the trans tune, TM adjustments and more aggressive shift points. It'll drive like a new truck (at least I thought so)

Old 10-06-2010, 06:53 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill second or 3rd those trans tuning features it woke up my 4.7l like no tomorrow, alot of ppl chit on the 4.7l but ill tell you my truck is running smooth for whats done to it, and i eat f150 for brunch all the time...some silverados for dinners.....

Old 10-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Steve/06 Hemi
Professional

Just an update with some pics. Now i just need to figure out what i want to do to the exhaust. I think i'm gonna do the nerf bars and some real nice dodge splash guards/mud flaps first. Truck is running great really notice the mods!!!!

Last edited by Steve/06 Hemi; 12-03-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply: New guy here. Advice please!!