3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS, Brake Light and Airbag Light on, bad EPROM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:28 PM
droptop_charger426
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS, Brake Light and Airbag Light on, bad EPROM?

I have 2006 Ram 1500 4x4 4.7l automatic. For about the last year and a half the ABS, Brake Light and Airbag light have been on. This occured after the ignition switch was left on in the on position for about 16 hours(kids are great). The truck was dead of coarse. I charged the battery back up and started the truck to find these three lights on. I tried to run my scan tool on the truck but it would not communicate even though it says it will work on 2005 and newer. So 1.5 years later I buy some scan tool software with Chysler enhanced add-on software that allows me to look at these codes specific to Chrysler vehicles. They are the following:

Brake Related
C2202 Original VIN Mismatch/Missing
C2206 Vehicle Configuration Mismatch

Airbag Related
U1415 Implausible/Missing Vehicle Configuration Data

The airbag light comes and goes with what seems to be every other key turn the brakes lights go off at first then come on after starting the truck. there does not seem to be any noticable problem with either braking system.

I stopped at dealer which was totally no help.

Is it possible that the EPROM in the computer is bad? If that was the case could I buy a mild performance chip which may take care of the problem?

I am not able to rest these codes through my new scan tool software. From the codes it almost sounds like there is some info missing or damaged.

Any help would be appreciated before I go spend the big money at a dealer. I have searched and searched but have found no answers to these codes. These lights have become extremly annoying since I spend a lot of time in this truck.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you need to have your TIPM reconfigured. Cost is 1hr diagnostics by the dealer. This will reset your TIPM back to ofactory settings and clear any stored non-active codes that are present.
Your little Advance Auto scan tool will not be able to fix this problem.
What i would reccomend doing first..... disconnect both the positive and negative terminals on the battery. Now, touch the positive lead directly to the negative lead and hold them together for 10sec. You may see an initial spark. What this does is bleed all the power from the computers onboard capacitors and will reset your computer. If that doesn't work, you will need a reconfigure of the TIPM. If that doesn't work, then you'll need a whole new TIPM which for the 2006's are very pricey. Like $700 pricey plus labor and you can't do it yourself as they need to be configured by the dealer.

Quick question...Have you ever installed a tuner on this truck?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 PM
droptop_charger426
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for the reply.

I did the battery cable reset over a year ago still had the lights.

There have been no tuners installed.

I asked the dealer guru in the service bay about possibly reprogramming something in the computer of coarse he did not give an answer. I just want to be able to go into the dealer with a little more knowledge than what I have at this point.

Quick Reply: ABS, Brake Light and Airbag Light on, bad EPROM?