3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need to replace heater core

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:05 PM
humdrum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to replace heater core

hey all, does anyone have step by step instructions or a link to print off on how to rip the dash apart to change the heater core? never done this before, any special tools to remove dash?
I'm working on a dodge ram 2002 1500 quad cab w/4.7 manual 5 speed.
any help would be great.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 PM
That1guy
Veteran

I did it. Wasnt fun...

First thing is get your ac recovered by an ac shop. Because you have to take it off.

Basically pop the top piece off and the radio bezel and the side pieces. Then a 8mm ratchet or Philips head screw driver and just start taking off the front piece. Make sure your battery is disconnected and unhook all the plugs under the drivers side. Then you gotta lower the column. Then there are two bolts in the middle by the windshield then two on the trans tunnel and a few on the ends by the door hinges. That allows the whole frame to come off. Then you have to unhook the heater core hoses on the outside and the ac lines going to the evaporator. Once all that is out then you can pull the whole hvac box and replace the core.

If you need any more help let me know. Thats it in a nut shell.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:15 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

In the links in my signature you can find the Service Manual for your truck to assist you with this and everything else you may come across.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 PM
humdrum

thanks guys, but whoa! looks like I'd better set two days aside for this. Is there no way to do it without recovery of the ac?

Old 10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
That1guy
Veteran

The ac lines have to be taken off. So its recover it or release it into the air which is frowned upon.

Quick Reply: need to replace heater core