3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Creaky rear leaf bushing and warped rotors again

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Jeff d
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaky rear leaf bushing and warped rotors again

Bought an '04 Hemi QC Ram about 2-3 months ago @ 47,000 miles.

Had warped rotors when I got it so I had them turned within a few days of purchase. Noticed AutoZone Duralast Gold pads on the front with a lot of meat left on them when I disassembled. Brakes squealed before and after turning the rotors but the vibration under hard braking went away after having them turned. Well, 3 months and about 2,500 miles later they're warped again and I don't splash through large puddles.

Should I be looking at different pads + new rotors? Or, just turn them again (I think they're thick enough but will measure) and new pads?

Also, the driver's side rear leaf bushing on the spring side of the shackle is creaking pretty bad. It creaks when I get in and out of the truck and I'm not that heavy (190ish lbs). It creaks and moans the whole time when I'm lowering my boat trailer onto the ball. I sprayed some lube on there and it took copious soaking but it finally stopped creaking. That only lasted a couple of days and it's back to normal now. I checked AutoZone's site and all they sell is a whole set of poly bushings for the rear for like $66. I'd rather not spend that much but am I wasting my time replacing just the affected bushing with an OEM style rubber one?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in all honesty, replace them with the poly bushings, i have always had good luck with them...you say you have a boat does your brakes or any other components get wet when you drop or load your boat up? mostly when dropping your brakes are hot and i see some people around me just back in til when ever and with a hot rotor and that cool water it could warp them, another thing is your bushings may be cracking from the water unless its fresh water, salt water and rubber doesnt last....on ebay theres a seller by the name of brakemotive they sell some drilled and slotted rotors and they come with new ceramic pads they are a nice set up all 4 wheels for 250 shipped and they ship fast i had mine in 3 days.....good luck....

Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Jeff d
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water is fresh and I've only had the truck for 3 months with a total of 3-4 launches per month. I also don't put any part of the truck in the water. The previous owner didn't have a boat either. So, I doubt that's a factor.

I'll have to check out that pad and rotor setup on eBay.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe once these OEM rotors take a warp they are shot. The more you machine them the thinner they become and the more prone they are to further warpping. My 2 cents.. Replace them.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My front rotors warped at one point but after having then turned I havent had any issues. However, I am getting ready to replace a lot of parts on my truck in the name of maintenance. Some of those parts will be new rotors.

Quick Reply: Creaky rear leaf bushing and warped rotors again