3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Next step upgrades for 05 ram 1500 5.7L

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 PM
mpk1980
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Personally, I found the cam to be an easier job than the headers. A little more involved with the spring swap but no laying on the ground, cutting off of old pipe or welding like is needed for the LT headers.
hmm...really...well my father in law was a ford mechanic for 15yrs..and builds motorcycles..im sure he has the technical knowledge to help with putting in a cam.....

btw....what kinda of cam should i get...i know there are different ones and i probably wont need a crazy one, just something simple since i wont have major upgrades for a little while...and also with the headers....any sort of name brands i should be looking for, been reading up and alot of them seem to be very close performance and in price somewhat.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpk1980
hmm...really...well my father in law was a ford mechanic for 15yrs..and builds motorcycles..im sure he has the technical knowledge to help with putting in a cam.....

btw....what kinda of cam should i get...i know there are different ones and i probably wont need a crazy one, just something simple since i wont have major upgrades for a little while...and also with the headers....any sort of name brands i should be looking for, been reading up and alot of them seem to be very close performance and in price somewhat.
He should be able to do it. Just get yourself a good spring compressor and you can do the spring swap with the heads still on.

Your cam choice will be determined by a few things. What do you want out of the cam, low end or high end gain? Something that will run on a custom tune or on a canned tune?

Old 10-10-2010, 04:19 PM
mpk1980

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
He should be able to do it. Just get yourself a good spring compressor and you can do the spring swap with the heads still on.

Your cam choice will be determined by a few things. What do you want out of the cam, low end or high end gain? Something that will run on a custom tune or on a canned tune?
well...as of right now, im not sure really....its basically a around town driver at the moment. and with the tune....not really a big deal cause there is a CMR close by and i can get custom tune fairly easy.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The issue with custom tuning is you are going to go over 1k total as a project altogether. There is cam ($400), springs, push rods, cam/crank bolts ($100) head bolts and gaskets ($100), coolant, oil, filter, PS fluid ($75-100). Then you not only have to pay a CMR dealer to write the tune but also will need a wide band to monitor and help you get finely tuned. Thats another $150+

CMR tunes are usually $250+

----------------------------------------------
Pacesetter LTs are $300+ in most cases. Everyone here will tell you to get ceramic coated if you can. They obviously cost more but last longer and keep the heat out of the engine bay and in the pipes. But with LTs also mean the cats have to be pushed back. Not a big deal but may be more work that you can do at home in the driveway due to welding and such. Installing the LTs yourself is easy and then you can drive to the exhaust shop. That may help you save some installation costs.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Gears. With you running 22's, 4.56s would be all that were on my mind. Moesperformance is good but get on the phone first and call them. Lots of guys have had issues with actually talking to anyone and their items being shipped out REALLY late (hence the reason they called). I had my gears installed for $250

Old 10-11-2010, 08:12 AM
mpk1980

Originally Posted by weedahoe
The issue with custom tuning is you are going to go over 1k total as a project altogether. There is cam ($400), springs, push rods, cam/crank bolts ($100) head bolts and gaskets ($100), coolant, oil, filter, PS fluid ($75-100). Then you not only have to pay a CMR dealer to write the tune but also will need a wide band to monitor and help you get finely tuned. Thats another $150+

CMR tunes are usually $250+

----------------------------------------------
Pacesetter LTs are $300+ in most cases. Everyone here will tell you to get ceramic coated if you can. They obviously cost more but last longer and keep the heat out of the engine bay and in the pipes. But with LTs also mean the cats have to be pushed back. Not a big deal but may be more work that you can do at home in the driveway due to welding and such. Installing the LTs yourself is easy and then you can drive to the exhaust shop. That may help you save some installation costs.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Gears. With you running 22's, 4.56s would be all that were on my mind. Moesperformance is good but get on the phone first and call them. Lots of guys have had issues with actually talking to anyone and their items being shipped out REALLY late (hence the reason they called). I had my gears installed for $250
wow...thanks for the info!! alot of good stuff, for custom tuning, it would be over a period of time...id figure the little things that you listed would be the last things i did....and i would try to do the headers and gears and stuff first.....but really..thanks...you got me steered in a good direction now...i will start looking into everything today....again...thanks alot

Old 10-11-2010, 09:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

For custom tuning, all the initial cost must be up front. In other words, you have to install the cam and related parts, pay the tuner (ahead of installing the cam) so you can get a base tune to program the truck with directly after installing the cam so the truck will at least run. After that you get into more accurately tuning but that cost nothing. But the base tune you will need first which is why the tuner must be paid up front.

Quick Reply: Next step upgrades for 05 ram 1500 5.7L