3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Instrument Cluster replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:57 PM
kartopics
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster replacement?

05' Ram QuadCab --- just had a major short in the instrument cluster...The question is: are the miles (odometer reading) stored in the original cluster? Or I can buy a brand new one and the miles show on it (if they are stored in the ECU? BCM?). Any input would be more than welcome!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:27 PM
brettj2408
Captain

your odometer is stored in both the cluster (CCN) (cabin compartment node) and the pcm

Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 PM
kartopics

Does that mean that the mileage would display/show correctly when a new cluster is installed? Or would there be a mis/match error?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

mileage is stored in the cluster only.
I just had to replace mine and the manufacturer(NOT the dealer) had to program the correct mileage in it. WHile i waited for the new one to arrive, I put 172miles on my old one and there were no conflicting interests between the pcm and the cluster. This is because the cluster has it's own pcm.
If you purchase a used cluster, the mileage that was on the vehicle it was removed from would be the mileage that shows up when you plug it in your truck.
The biggest problem with a used cluster is that it's self-programming to the vehicle it's initially connected to, therfore, if your vehicle has different options, you may have issue's with the cluster working correctly as it gets vin locked to the original vehicle.
A new cluster is about $300 brand new from the dealer and it IS something you can install yourself.
All you need to do is drive to a dealer and have them verify the mileage. Then you can order up a new cluster and it will be programmed to your mileage at the time of verification.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good information. Thanks..

Old 10-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Edmondj25
Default 08 Dodge 1500 Battery drain

Battery drains down if I don't pull the the (IOD) fuse anybody went through this problem or had it fixed.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster replacement?