3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Won't start unless I disconnect and reconnect battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 AM
twisted_spoon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start unless I disconnect and reconnect battery

Hi, I have a 2002 1500. For some reason the truck will not start unless I disconnect then reconnect the battery. The voltage seems fine and the "trick" works every time. It will run just fine but after I shut it off I have to disconnect and reconnect the batter to start it again. Any ideas?

Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Will it turn over if you dont unhook/rehook or is it totally dead? Do you get ignition power?

Old 06-15-2010, 08:54 AM
twisted_spoon

It won't crank/turn over. Doesn't even click. But I DO get power. Everything appears to be working fine aside from the part that it won't start.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 AM
twisted_spoon

It also beeps/chimes about 15 times. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or maybe another issue. It doesn't do it all the time. and sometimes towards the end of the beeps there is an extra loud beep.

BTW I did on-off-on-off-on thing and it just said done.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Have you done a battery test to make sure the battery is holding a full charge?
If your handy with a multimeter than you can do some tests on the start circuit.

The only thing I can think of that may cause that proble is a possible bad nuetral saftey switch which is part of the starter relay circuit.. Go out and try to start your truck. When it doesn't start, put the shift lever into nuetral and try to start it again and see if anything happens?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:41 AM
twisted_spoon

Trying neutral was actually one of the first things I tried. Sorry, guess I should have mentioned that.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:08 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by twisted_spoon
It also beeps/chimes about 15 times. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or maybe another issue. It doesn't do it all the time. and sometimes towards the end of the beeps there is an extra loud beep.

BTW I did on-off-on-off-on thing and it just said done.

I didnt see this when i posted earlier. Is the chime erratic or is it like the door chime just goin off? If it's erratic and/or your flashers are going offf or there is clicking with the chime, that would tell me you have an aftermarket alarm or starter. Do you?

Also, make sure your battery connections are tight. Staters draw lots of juice and if the battery has a bad contact at a terminal, you can still get power to everything and not the starter because the acessories dont take much juice to turn them on like it does to crank the starter over.
Do a battery test.

Last edited by dirtydog; 06-15-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:30 PM
sbsga
Professional

Has the truck ever had an aftermarket alarm/security system on it?

Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 PM
twisted_spoon

not that I know of. There is an odd little 1x1inch box with 2 wires coming out of it located about shin level on the driver's side by the throttle. I'll try to remember to take a pic of it tomorrow. I'll also look it over a bit more and take some pics of anything that looks odd.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 AM
imnotorginal

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same exact thing happening to my car. Car will not start, just clicks once. I have to go and disconnect battery, wait a few secs, and reconnect, then it starts right up as if nothing has happened.

Quick Reply: Won't start unless I disconnect and reconnect battery