3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark plug heat ranges!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010 | 01:13 AM
Skywalker
|
Default Spark plug heat ranges!

I have a stock hemi that has some slight bolt on upgrades to it, exaust, cold air intake, and about to have some MSD coils on it! My question is, should I use stock heat range plugs or one step colder? Because I was told by a guy at the auto parts store to get the colder plugs, he drives a honda! The plugs that I bought are the NGK V-power plugs one step colder than stock! Will this be ok or should I go for something else? Thanks Lucas

Old 10-30-2010 | 09:40 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

You need to not listen to a Honda driver or any import driver for that matter especially one who works at Advance Auto or Autozone. You need Basic copper plugs that are stock heat range. You will have problems with carbon build-up if you install anything colder. There are few cars that benefit from colder plugs and a stock hemi is not one of them. You'll hinder your performance. Also, make sure you verify the gap on the plugs by wire guage. Those cheap $1 slider guages are unpredictable and can vary from one plug to the next not to mention they are just stamped on an assembly line rather than actually measured and verified like the wire guages.

Old 10-30-2010 | 09:54 AM
Skywalker
|

Thanks Double D" that is just what I thought!!!

Old 10-30-2010 | 10:01 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

No problem. it wouldn't be much fun to change out 16 plugs and then find out they aren't what you expected. The Hemi takes 16 plugs in case you weren't aware.

Old 10-30-2010 | 05:25 PM
Skywalker
|

Just got done with the swap and spark plugs in a time of three and a half hours! Went with the stock champion plugs! Seams to be running a little better with all that being over!!

Quick Reply: Spark plug heat ranges!