3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

clunk when i let off the gas to coast

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010 | 12:11 AM
dodgemudder
|
Rookie
Unhappy clunk when i let off the gas to coast

i drive an 05 ram 4x4 with 90,000 miles and sometimes when i let off the gas all the was there is kinda like a clunk or something like that or sounds like the gears catching each other or something. its hard to explain. but i cant tell if its the rearend or tranny or what. you guys have any clue as to what it might be. anything to help me out. and a price range to get it fixed or looked at or anything will help. thanks for any help you guys can give me. thanks

Old 11-04-2010 | 05:23 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

When was the last time you pulled your differential covers and cleaned all the old oil out and inspected them and put new oil in?

Old 11-04-2010 | 09:11 AM
drewactual
Champion

could very well be a u-joint too... will cost you about $15 for a new one, and about twenty minutes of your time to replace it..

to find out, crawl under your truck and grab your drive shaft, and try to rotate it.. there shouldn't be any play in it at all.. when you turn it one direction the wheels should instantly try to turn, depending which way you turn it depends on which way the wheels try to turn.. if there is any play at all- do this while watching the u-joint.. if there is play in the joint, you should be able to spot it immediately.

Old 11-04-2010 | 10:28 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

U joint. That is what im thinking of also....

Old 11-04-2010 | 08:20 PM
m3summ
Rookie

Another vote for the U joint.

Old 11-04-2010 | 09:19 PM
meen green machine
Professional

if im in first gear barely on the gas and let off before it shifts mine makes a clunk. it also happens sometimes from a dead stop. but i had my u joints replaced about a year ago and i had different problems when they went bad. it sounds like mine is coming from the tranny

Quick Reply: clunk when i let off the gas to coast