3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram Hemi Won't Start - Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EDT231
Hey guys - this is the exact reason that I joined the site. I am having the same issue with my 04 / 1500 as well.

I even changed the ignition starter switch on the steering column and still no luck. Anyone have this happen and actually find the fix? Thanks in advance.
Could be bad ignition switch or solonoid on the starter causing this type of issue. Since you replaced the first, I would move onto the 2nd.
make sure your fuse panel in the engine compartment hasnt begn to corrode on the otherside. High current draw would first be effected with corrosion.
This is the problem with guys asking for answers and then never reporting back what fixed the problem...
Hopefully if you find the fix you can let everyone else know for future troubles.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a starter relay. You can check to see if voltage is getting to the starter. Now I not sure if there is an easy way to tell if the starter relay is bad. If the relay can be probed then you could tell if the starter control signal is getting to the relay. These type of problems are pretty easy for the most technician to solve if you are stuck.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Owensue
Veteran

Let's not forget ground straps too.
A bad engine ground can also cause your starter not to crank.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 PM
EDT231
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its worth a try nothing else seems to be working, thanks.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Somethig else to check, I remember shortly after I bought my 2005 2500 (new), a few guys wrote in about a similar problem, and I noticed the original poster mentioning the instrument panel not working. Disconnect and deenergize all the circuits as Dog mentioned earlier, pull the ecu connections ad check them, sometimes they corrode from water ad such, then some really weird stuff happens, you may have lost power to it

Hope this Helps!!!

Last edited by Gone Fishin; 02-03-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My guess is that the underside of the fuse box is corroded. VERY common in "salt" states...

Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 PM
corey05ram

Did anyone ever figure out this issue ??? My 05 1500 is doing the same thing. Intermittently won't start and when it happens the gauges fail to do the normal sweep when the key is turned on as if the computer isn't powering on. I've spent 10 + hours checking grounds, connections, every fuse / relay, pulled the fuse block and clean / checked for corrosion, verified power at the PCM, etc, and still having the same issue. I seam to get 5 to 10 starts before it won't start. I can wait 1 hours sometime or I have to leave it overnight and it will start up like nothing. Thinking its something to do with: PCM ?, Keyless start module ? Weird side effect is the Exterior temp reading always say 54 or -- when it wont start but reads fine when it will start. Anyone have any ideas ??

Old 10-25-2014, 01:39 PM
whoamioitsi
Amateur

yes I am having the same issues guessing it is a pcm issues as my superchips programmer wont connect says can not detect ignition on and help would be awesome ! and to think I was going to go and see about trading in my 05 for a new one today and when I got in she was dead LOL

Old 11-09-2014, 10:29 PM
whoamioitsi
Amateur
Talking

Issue is FIXED

ok I will report back and tell people what on my truck the no start no crank ended up being !!!

it was a corroded circuit board ( see red circle ) inside the PDC ( fuse box ) I took my PDC out and looked it over top an bottom and really it didn't look bad at all pretty clean on the underside all plug terminals looked clean but I have already gone over all my wiring and that was all good so I thought well lets open this PDC up and look it over on the inside .. i seen a very small spot of rust so i cleaned it up and then you could see how the ribbon on the board was broke so i had to use a drill bit to open the path from the top of the circuit board to the bottom side use a small copper wire through the hole i opened so ensure there was a good contact point completing the circuit and solder it in ! put her all back together and fired up my Grey Goat

It would be nice if everyone when the ask for help with an issue and we all try to help then when they do get it fixed they would say when the fix was
just my thoughts though

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Ram Hemi Won't Start - Mystery-img_20141106_113656.jpg   2005 Ram Hemi Won't Start - Mystery-circiut-board.jpg  
Old 12-08-2022, 04:23 PM
VinnyC8484

So I’m have the same issue with my 2005 1500 5.7 HEMI. Without any issues suddenly I try to start and only get a click. Full power. Instrument panel OK. Just nothing when I turn the key…..but I try remote start and VOILA! Next morning turn the key. NADA. Remote start NADA. Try jumping it. NADA. Try the key. VOILA! I DONT GET IT

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram Hemi Won't Start - Mystery