3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front passenger floor wet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Geezir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front passenger floor wet?

So today as I'm running some wiring for my two way radio I discover that my passenger floor beneath the carpet is decently wet.

Any known issues that could cause this? Door and window seals seem to be fine...I know on my VW there are a few known areas that water can get through.

Not sure where to start on this truck though.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab

Old 11-05-2010, 06:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it just water/moisture? it could be leaking in from the front windshield somewhere's?
it's not coolant right?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running the AC? Crawl underneath and look for a rubber hose, and see if you can't run a semi-rigid somethingorother through it. At work we use a dipstick from some old chrysler, looks like a toilet snake except without the hook at the end. It's probably just plugged up with something (dead bug, dirt, etc).

Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Geezir
Veteran

I don't think it was coolant. Seemed to be clear and odorless.

I'll check for the rubber hose...where about would it be?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 PM
rickof08
Veteran

I know you said you dont think it was coolant but maybe it could be the heater core? At my school we have a car that is used for this scenario.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:41 AM
abarmby
Champion

Put a finger in the the wet carpet and get it wet.
Then just put the tip of it on your tongue.
If it tastes very very sweet like having a coffee with 10 sugars+ in it, it's coolant and I think you will be looking at a new heater core.
Al.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:41 PM
04BlackRam

Having the same issue with my 04 reg cab. Went to wash the truck today and figured I would try to find the leak. Put the hose at the base of the windshield first all along the cowl area for a while and then went inside the truck to check things out, nothing. Same thing when I flooded the door seal area and then the top of the windshield. Absolutely nothing. High and dry. I had already checked the AC drain for clogging and nothing. WHile I had the hose out decided to spray water into the drain to see what would happen and now the inside of the truck was wet. Leaking around the firewall where the ac drain is. When I took the hose away from the ac drain it poured back out of it so I know it is not clogged obviously.

Going to seal up the firewall tomorrow and the attach a hose to the drain. Thinking maybe when the water is trickling out of of the drain it is dribbling back and thru the firewall??

I did have evidence of water around the blower motor though before the water testing.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 AM
klruff1
Rookie
Default Wet Passenger Floor Carpet

Resurrecting this old topic. Just bought a 2005 Ram QC Daytona. Bought some new floormats and when removing the old passenger mat to put the new one in place, I noticed a wet circle spot dead center under the mat. Read about leaks on the site, but I am thinking I may have what 04BlackRam was describing. Did you ever resolve the problem and what did you do to fix it? Anyone else have this same problem? I had an identical problem on my previous car, a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The drain tube for the a/c evap was too short and water would leak back on the tube, through the firewall, and down the floor onto the drivers side carpet. I added a drain tube extension at the firewall which fixed the problem. Could this be the same issue with these trucks?

Thanks for any info/advice!

Keith in NJ
2005 Daytona Quad Cab

Last edited by klruff1; 06-03-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Very common with many vehicles in the northeast to have the heater core start to rust through after 5-6 years. I had a Jeep J10 pickup did it at 6 years old, a Ford F150 did it at 5 years and two or three cars all had heater core rust through before they hit 8 years old...

Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 PM
twburger
Question Leak? Me Too

I have a 2001 2500 Quad cab with a leak on the passenger side. It's definitely rain; not coolant; not AC condensation drainage; not a dropped Super Big Gulp.

Taping off the gap between the bottom of the windshield and the plenum cover seemed to solve the issue. So, I replaced the windshield (it was cracked and had several big chips anyway) and it helped, but still I found a tiny stream running down the seam where the firewall meets the interior passenger side inner cab wall. I sprayed aerosol tar roof sealant into the plenum and let it flow down (avoiding putting any into the air intake) and it seems to have also helped but there has been no major rain since then and I have not had the time to stand there like a **** running the hose on it.

If anyone has an idea how to fix the problem without taking all of the right side of the cab apart I'm all ears.

Fingers crossed.

Attached Thumbnails Front passenger floor wet?-my-2001-dodge-2500-quad-cab-8l-v10-14.jpg  

Quick Reply: Front passenger floor wet?