3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Helper or Overload Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:56 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I dunno 'dog, I've had well over 2000# of river rock in the bed of my truck and only needed about 40# of air to keep the truck level, well below the 100# capacity. Over five years and no bag issues yet.

I know what you are saying though, the bigger bags can't hurt. In my case, I needed the way the bracket mounted up with the 2000# kit because of my lift...

Old 11-12-2010, 01:38 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not saying they are guaranteed to pop, but it's def pushing the limit and with liquid, the effects could be devastating if you are travelling at say even 40mph and one bag pops. The bed will initially tilt to the broken bag side and then sag the other side ata slower rate which could cause a loss of control.
40psi inside the bags with 2000lbs in the bed still has 2000lbs weighted on the bags. Actually, you would be better off with less air because as I stated before, the leafs would absorb a small amount of that weight.

Let's get slightly technical.
Theres gotta be some room for error within the bags because of the weight of the truck itself isn't even accounted for. So, my bags mounted up to my truck(1500) can handle more payload than if they were mounted up to a 2500 due to the extra initial weight placed on the bags before even loading the bed since a 2500 framer is heavier. I'm more than positive they don't create diff molds/diff bags for 1500's than they do for 2500's. That would cost too much in manufacturing.
So, i suppose with that in mind, that is why you haven't had any issu'es with your bags. :-)
Yeah, anything over a small body lift and I would reccomend the bags you got Hammer.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:30 PM
mike_dmt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I understand 100% of what you're saying dog. I'm not thinking of these bags as taking the entire weight of whatever I put in the bed, just a helper to the leaf pack. If Hammer is putting 40# of air in to handle 2000#+ of rock, it seems that the bags would fail.

Rated at 2000# filled to 40% capacity = 800# limit. In my mind the bags at that time are "helping" with 800# the springs don't have to.

Does this sound right to you guys?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I dunno, I ain't into all the math stuff, must be that "new math", LOL.

I do know that the one time I hauled river rock to the house, it was about 2300 lbs. and I know I only had to put 40# of air in the bags to sit level. Now when my ATV is in the bed, it's only about 700# and takes 30# of air.

But the rock was evenly distributed and my ATV sits with almost all it's weight BEHIND my rear axle due to my toolbox.

IMO, you'll be hunky dory with the 2k bags. Like I said, usually I'm in 'dogs camp with overkill being better, and I've stated why I have the ones I have, I had no choice really.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:09 PM
mike_dmt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha. Me neither usually, Hammer. It hauled my tank O.K. without anything, so I think it will be good. I went with this set up just in case I ever do go with more lift, body or suspension, since I can move the brackets. I'm just going to drill and bolt em for now.

Thanks, guys

Quick Reply: Helper or Overload Springs?