3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pissed!! going with solid axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:28 AM
[meph]
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

things will break when you play. that's just the way it works. and when something does break, you don't just replace it, you go better. that way it'll break less often lol.

im running 24" wheels and 40s in my IFS with NO problems at all. i did replace the upper ball joints with greasable style, and have bilstein struts to take the impact better than the crappy OEM ones. however, i am sure more things will break, but that's the name of the game.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

@ [meph] - what tires are you running because later once I wear mine down i want to go bigger as well.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 AM
[meph]
Professional

24" wheels with 40" super swamper m16s. LOVE these tires. minimal hum, look badass, and i can still tow with them. granted they cost me an arm, a leg, my soul, and my left nut lol. (im gonna have to add my unborn child to that list when i get the 54s that i want lol)

Originally Posted by weedahoe
@ [meph] - what tires are you running because later once I wear mine down i want to go bigger as well.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by [meph]
things will break when you play. that's just the way it works. and when something does break, you don't just replace it, you go better. that way it'll break less often lol.

im running 24" wheels and 40s in my IFS with NO problems at all. i did replace the upper ball joints with greasable style, and have bilstein struts to take the impact better than the crappy OEM ones. however, i am sure more things will break, but that's the name of the game.

Pavement queen? Cause I've dragged three trucks out the woods while hunting with snapped CVs. Two Cheby's and one Ram 1500. Two running 37s and one running 38s.

If you are running 40s with NO problems at all, you can't be running very hard...

Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM
[meph]
Professional

not a pavement queen, but i aint trying to kill it either lol. if i wanted a pavement queen i woulda got a 2wd. and when my cv's snap (and im sure they eventually will), i'll replace with bigger and badder.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

not a pavement queen, but i aint trying to kill it either lol. if i wanted a pavement queen i woulda got a 2wd. and when my cv's snap (and im sure they eventually will), i'll replace with bigger and badder.
Finally a guy who "gets it", LOL...

Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 AM
[meph]
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Finally a guy who "gets it", LOL...
haha. oh i "got it" from the start. but at that point i wasn't planning on making a friggin monster truck out of it either. it was going to be my daily/tow pig.........oops. at least i can still tow with it. got me a 98 jeep cherokee for a daily now. feel like im drivin a damn gocart

Old 11-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Chris1530
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meph. what upper ball joints did you get that are greasable ? Bcuz as far as i knew you had to get the whole upper a arm w/ balljoint. I tried everywhere before i bought the whole damm A arm.. and ive already replaced both sides,.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:10 PM
[meph]
Professional

yeah. had to get the whole upper arm sorry. thought that was an understood thing with our rams lol.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:07 PM
cg1022

Actually you can just replace the uppers, without replacing the entire A-Arm. I ordered MOOG K80628, you just need to take out the two bolts on either side of the strut tower the bolt size is 18mm. Its a super easy replacement and a lot cheeper than a new A-arm.

P.S. the bottom ball joint is a MOOG K7411

Quick Reply: Pissed!! going with solid axle swap