3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Help.....2002- 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM
isp197
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Help.....2002- 4.7

Need some advise, about a 2 weeks ago my tranny went into limp mode. Took it to the shop and they said it needed the shift solenoid replaced, which they did. They also replaced two speed sensors. Truck was doing great until yesterday. I turned the od off, just cause I hadn't since I got the truck back. After about 10 seconds, the tranny light comes back on and its in limp mode again. Throws the generic p0700 code. I disconnected the battery cables and after a few minutes hooked them back up. Everything is back to normal, runs great. No codes show up when I turn the ignition on 3 times. Turned the od off again, same thing, limp mode after about 10 seconds. Any ideas?????????????Thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 06:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Take it back to the shop and complain and tell then you paid them to fix it and they didnt??

Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 AM
isp197

Ok, so I called the shop and told them what the truck was doing. Told me they didn't think it was in the tranny as everything looked fine and they had replaced all the solenoids. Mechanic that worked on the truck said it sounds like it might be an electrical problem? Could it be a sending unit bad? Truck runs great, until I turn the od off. Any help is appreciated........Thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Buggsy
Professional

Does the light come on even in park? For example, start the truck, push the OD button, and wait. If not and you do this, does the light come on after driving a while, or at a certain shift point?
Try and figure out more of the circumstances. I'm definitely not experienced with transmissions, but my guess would be if the truck runs and drives great normally, but limps after you tell it to turn off OD, I would also suspect something electrical.

Also, call a couple of different trany shops and describe your current problem. The current shop might not want to admit fault, or simply blinded by what they did. A new shop might say "oh it's the solenoid". It's also worth looking around yourself. You might find a discontect sensor, a bad ground, and shorted wire... And look around the PCM too, not just the tranny.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:36 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds to me like a wire is grounding somewhere in your tranny.. I'd be checking the harness to those sensors/solenoids that were changed.. I'd be looking for scuffs, tears, twists and bends- but mostly for wire exposed outside of the insulation... it happens often while working on these specific sensors and solenoids, and is easy to goof up.. also, time and temperature has it's way with them too, and just moving them from their plug to a position where you can swap them can expose them..

Old 11-09-2010, 12:29 PM
isp197

Reference your question Buggsy, I did turn the od off while sitting in park. It did not go into limp mode. As far as when it has messed up. From a stop and in drive, I turn the od off and began accelerating. Nothing crazy just normal. After reaching around 35 to 40 mph, already in 3rd gear, tranny light comes on and its in limp mode. Take battery cables off, wait a few minutes and put them back on. Everthing back to normal????????

Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Buggsy
Professional

It really does sound electrical. Go through the engine and check all the grounds, especially on the TCM. Check all the wires like drewactual suggested. Given the generic code code, it sounds like switching OD off is being interpreted as a condition where it can't shift. If all the wires and connectors check out as good, it may just be a computer fault. You can have a dealership update the system, but no guaranty that it'll correct the problem.

The alternative is to just leave it be. The truck shifts good under normal conditions. Just keep up with the fluid flushes and regular maintenance. If you have four wheel drive, you may want to make sure that works without issue.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 PM
isp197

I did check the 4-wheel drive and it is working, no problems. I am seriously considering just leaving it be if I cant find any loose wires or connectors. But then it raises the whole other question about towing. I have a boat. But won't be using it till next year, cause its put up for the winter. Tow about 20 miles each way.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

They did not fix the actual problem take it back and make them fix it. Or ruin thier reputation in town and turn them into the better business burea in your area.. Most business does not want that and will then stand behind thier work..

Quick Reply: Tranny Help.....2002- 4.7