3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Bryce1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bryce1

2005 Dodge 1500 Ram Daytona addtion
HID - Headlight Kit - HID working - no headlights
Installed the harnes for HID -( came with the 50w 6ohm has and the other studff with the harnes We bought the complete kit so all we should have had to to do is plug and play.

All the HID works, Blinkers work - we spliced those in fine.
but we have no head lights - pluged the new HID light in the existing pug where we pulled the old lights.

Can you help?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:44 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im confused because you say the HIDs work but then say the headlights do not work.

HIDs are your headlights.

When you say you "spliced" the blinkers, you would not do that with HIDs. Did you buy headlights off ebay?

Old 04-22-2013, 12:33 PM
DonnieHumphrey

I purchased some HID Bi-Xenon headlights and HID fog lights for my 02 ram and was having the flashing on and off and found a solution without the resistors. Ive been reading these posts for awhile now and thought this might help some people on here. Ive seen people post that the HID is gas filled and has no filament so the CANBUS will throw a lamp out code, it is gas filled but the CANBUS system doesnt try to read resistance thru the HID since it never is actually in line with the CANBUS system, instead it tries to reads the resistance thru the ballast, and so what I did was wired my fog lamp ballast straight to the low beam side but I also wired a relay controlled by the low beam side and used it to switch 12 volts to headlight ballast when low beam is on and then wired the headlight ballast straight to the Hi beam side of the factory RAM harness with a diode inline on both sides to stop the feedback when low beam is selected. Soory if this isnt very clear I will draw a schematic and put on here tomorrow.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

It cant read resistance thru the ballast because the ballast is never apart of the OEM equipment supplied with the truck

Old 04-22-2013, 01:01 PM
DonnieHumphrey

Doesnt matter if its OEM of not, it will still read the resistance from the ballast the same as it reads the resistance from the resistors people are using on here

Old 04-22-2013, 01:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I think you are missing the point. The FCM originally detects if a headlight bulb it out how? By reading the resistance across the filament in the bulb. When the bulb blows, the filament is broke, resistance is changed in the circuit and the FCM detects this and displays the "Lamp Out" on the IC.

When changing to HIDs, there is no filament any longer so the FCM never detects the bulbs, shows the "Lamp Out' on the IC and reduces voltage on the circuit accordingly. The reason the HIDs then flicker or strobe is because the ballasts have caps in them that store and release energy. When they build enough due to the reduces voltage from the FCM circuit, the release it and thus the strobe of flashing effect most people see. This is why we use 50 watt load resistors to mimic the the original but no longer used 50 watt halogen filament bulbs.

Now with all that being said, there are "CANBUS" ballasts on the market that you can use and some people have had luck with them while others have not. The only difference between then and non-CANBUS (cheaper) ballasts is that they apply to load through the circuitry of the ballast.

Generally speaking though, it is normally a lesser cost to buy two ballasts at 20-25 bucks and load ballast for 10-20 than it is for a set of CANBUS ballasts

Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 PM
DonnieHumphrey

I know what youre saying but the CANBUS will also read the resistance from the ballast and will not throw a Lamp Out code. I used two ballast on each side and my truck does not throw a code like this.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yes, it can, but again, only if it is a canbus ballast as they are designed for canbus systems. Otherwise, you need load resistors.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 PM
DonnieHumphrey

no mine are not CANBUS and they work fine

Old 04-22-2013, 02:37 PM
DonnieHumphrey

the resistance from the ballast will work without a resistor

Quick Reply: Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...