3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 PM
DonnieHumphrey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still cant figure out why some need the resistors and some don't, ours are still working with diodes only. Just curious has anyone else tried 4 Kensun ballasts without resistors

Old 12-16-2013, 11:02 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a diode. Are you sure this is what you are using

Old 12-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Denalicummins59

Hi all. I've spent the last week or so reading all 64 pages of posts for this topic. Here is my setup: retrofitted morimoto mini d2s projectors, five5 morimoto ballasts, five5 morimoto 6k bulbs, theretrofitsource mopar specific 9007 relay harness with 2-50 W load resistors built in, 2-50 W load resistor 9007 plug for the passenger side, 100mm CCFL halos. All items were bought from theretrofitsource.com except the extra load resistors, which I bought from eBay.

I retrofitted the projectors into the headlights in June 2013 and have been having problems from the start. On startup the shields inside the projectors drop down and go to high beams. If I switch the truck the highs then lows the shields will go back up for a second then drop back down. This continues until the system has fully warmed up. I think temperature has something to do with it because I noticed that it takes longer now that it's cold outside. Once the shields will stay up, I can't GE them to drop back down again when I turn on the highs. In other words the highs won't work anymore. I notice that the cutoff line will bounce a little when I turn on the highs but the shields don't drop. I tried to address this with theretrofitsource.com. They had me check the temperatures of the resistors. One resistor would get up to about 155 degrees while the other would heat up to about 45 degrees. Then they would reverse when I turned on the highs. They told me to check the grounds. I have one resistor and one ballast on the same ground bolt and the other resistor on another ground bolt. I switched those around from all on the same bolt, but it didn't make a difference. I'm at a loss with this one. I'm thinking about removing the built in resistors from the relay harness and installing another 9007 load resistor plug in line on the drivers side in the relay harness. Any other suggestions? Is it possible that the pins in the 9007 plug are set for 9004?

Old 12-27-2013, 04:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by Denalicummins59
Hi all. I've spent the last week or so reading all 64 pages of posts for this topic. Here is my setup: retrofitted morimoto mini d2s projectors, five5 morimoto ballasts, five5 morimoto 6k bulbs, theretrofitsource mopar specific 9007 relay harness with 2-50 W load resistors built in, 2-50 W load resistor 9007 plug for the passenger side, 100mm CCFL halos. All items were bought from theretrofitsource.com except the extra load resistors, which I bought from eBay.

I retrofitted the projectors into the headlights in June 2013 and have been having problems from the start. On startup the shields inside the projectors drop down and go to high beams. If I switch the truck the highs then lows the shields will go back up for a second then drop back down. This continues until the system has fully warmed up. I think temperature has something to do with it because I noticed that it takes longer now that it's cold outside. Once the shields will stay up, I can't GE them to drop back down again when I turn on the highs. In other words the highs won't work anymore. I notice that the cutoff line will bounce a little when I turn on the highs but the shields don't drop. I tried to address this with theretrofitsource.com. They had me check the temperatures of the resistors. One resistor would get up to about 155 degrees while the other would heat up to about 45 degrees. Then they would reverse when I turned on the highs. They told me to check the grounds. I have one resistor and one ballast on the same ground bolt and the other resistor on another ground bolt. I switched those around from all on the same bolt, but it didn't make a difference. I'm at a loss with this one. I'm thinking about removing the built in resistors from the relay harness and installing another 9007 load resistor plug in line on the drivers side in the relay harness. Any other suggestions? Is it possible that the pins in the 9007 plug are set for 9004?
Welcome to the site.

You def have a wiring or harness issue.

I would start from scratch and take out the resistors and make sure the connections are solid.

With the key off, they should work properly. If not, it is something in your harness or connecting points

Old 12-28-2013, 02:02 PM
DonnieHumphrey

Yes ive been repairing electronics for over 25 years positive it was diodes and of course im not using them for resistance but for blocking current as intended. For resistance im only using my 4 ballasts, 2 on high beam 2 on low beam. Been working perfect on a 2007 ram 3500 and a 2003 1500 for over a year

Old 01-05-2014, 05:04 PM
gib_son911

when ever i turn my hids on my truck will fully turn off but when i turn on the regular lights everything works fine.... got new ballasts and a new battery and still nothing works... help!

Old 01-05-2014, 05:50 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

You obviously have something wired incorrectly.

Xenon? Bixenon? Using a harness?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:06 PM
hfd419
Rookie

Has anyone installed the retrofit bi-xenon kit? How do these project in the regular headlights compared to reg lamps? One of my 07 factory lamps finally burned out giving me a reason to replace them...

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid...r-bixenon.html

Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Me and Dirty have done several retrofits.

Projectors with HIDs are WAY different than halogens in stock headlights

Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 PM
hfd419
Rookie

Way different as much better? I have heard they scatter the light and not as good as projector but I'm just wanting it to be better than stock

Quick Reply: Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...