3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tow /haul button

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:36 PM
rideon20z
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tow /haul button

if you use the tow/haul button while towing a trailer with a car in it will it keep the trans cooler? i know it will rev higher and use more gas but someone told me that it will also keep trans cooler ??? our 1500's come with a trans cooler already right??? so it should cool just fine without it on ???

Old 11-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Duroc
Professional

Depends on the tow weight and terrain but at certain speeds it will keep you from going in and out of the higher gears, or searching, which increases heat. A steady, higher rpm without contsant gear changes will keep the tranny temps lower.

Last edited by Duroc; 11-12-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it will absolutely stay cooler- primarily because it won't be shifting as much and the TC won't be locking/unlocking non-stop...

if you like your tranny... uh, let me rephrase that- - If you want your tranny to last, turn your OD off wile towing anything over 1K# on flat land, and 500# in the hills.. all that shifting is generating lots of heat... heat eats trannies.. in a perfect world you would never want your tranny to exceed 180*, but that is sometimes tough to do while towing.. by turning the OD off, you allow the tranny to maintain a sustainable level of torque to the terra, and lessen the need to shift..

the external cooler on your rig is a massive help, but even it will be overcome by constant shifting by towing a heavy load with the OD off. it WILL however, maintain a nice manageable temperature of your fluid if your OD is off....

Old 11-12-2010, 09:09 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Incase you werent aware...
O/D off locks out 4th & 5th gears
Tow/Haul locks out 5th gear
4th gear is still considered an overdrive just not as tall of a gear a 5th. .63 vs .50

And actually, you may use less gas depending on your conditions.
I use less gas when towing than when I am empty because my engine stays in the higher rpm range longer right where these engines like to be. Thanks tomy Superchips tuner which allowd me to adjust my trans shifts.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 PM
rideon20z
Veteran

cool sounds good ! i have to tow but im here in illinois im going to arkansas.its all highway but thats a long trip . so i will be able to hear her searching for gears because she will rev up right. other wise if she is having trouble then just hit the button and turn od off . thanks guys

Quick Reply: tow /haul button