3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny fluid and filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by broncoremy
@timekop:
I would answer no to drilling the the hole while still on the vehicle... but this is just my $0.02.

--If any filings from the drill process don't come out with the old fluid and get into the transmission pump, clutch packs, simpson gears or valve body you could have a major disaster.
--How will you protect the drill underneath from being ruined by the trans fluid as you create the hole and how would you prevent the drill (before it dies) from spraying trans fluid all over the immediate area.

You could do it manually but then the mess will still be enormous and all over you.
Although I probably wouldn't do it, i don't see any harm in it. You'd be drilling up into a liquid which would be ideal cirumstances to not have filings in the pan. You have the channles of the bit, force of gravity, and the pressure from the fluid all working in your favor. It would be easy to protect the drill, just wrap a bath towel around the bit. once it's puntured just pull away.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:34 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by broncoremy
@Weed:

do you have a part num for the drain fitting you used for the pan?
Sry. no drain pan bolt on mine (yet) but when I do it will be one of those simple drain bolts you can buy at any auto parts store in the "help" section. They are usually in red packaging. At least around here they are.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM
timekop
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a fluid/filter change on my tranny yesterday which turned in to today. I got everything back together and went to start the engine...no gears. Dropped it again today and found the flat filter neck wasn't sealed in the upper body good. So, after using the other end of the hammer, I sealed it properly and the truck is back up shifting a lot smoother, without the dreadful pause before going into gear.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Bet you were getting worried there for a few minutes...lol

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid and filter change?