3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

losing antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:07 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed, any time you over heat the heads should be resurfaced and and checked for cracks. New gaskets obviously as well. Please let us know what you do find out.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 PM
03gsxr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Agreed, any time you over heat the heads should be resurfaced and and checked for cracks. New gaskets obviously as well. Please let us know what you do find out.
I will

Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 AM
bigmike750

I had the same problem..and i found the Problem this morning...my coolant reservoir was cracked along the seam all the way around.. its a quick 30 dollar fix from Ebay.. or a 116 dollar fix from the stealership..

Old 11-22-2010, 01:23 PM
03gsxr
Rookie

stuck thermostat dealership is taking the heads off right now

Old 11-22-2010, 02:17 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Stuck stat doesnt leak or make you lose coolant. Why are they pulling the heads though? Did it overheat again?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 03gsxr
stuck thermostat dealership is taking the heads off right now
Originally Posted by weedahoe
Stuck stat doesnt leak or make you lose coolant. Why are they pulling the heads though? Did it overheat again?
Exactly. Sounds like they are feeding you BS to save their embarassment.
Eitherway, I bet they will get it right this time!
Anytime you go back for work that has an issue, the mechanic doesn't get re-paid for it as he must do it for nothing. He may say it needs a T-stat so he can get atleast an hours worth of pay.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:58 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Never has my local Dodge stealership admitted they were wrong even when i proved it and caught them doing shady crap

Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 AM
03gsxr
Rookie

they said the stat stuck open and it was running hot problem is my gage never went past halfway so that must not be working right to? but the ting is I bought the truck and the same day it blow a head gasket so they fixed it and 3 day after they fixed it i brought it back because it still smoked a little bit and i could smell the antifreeze and they checked it out and said nothing was wrong with it so I drove it for 2 months like that and now they are offering to pay for half of a head job I told them BS so I guess I'll see where this goes they are going to fix it but I will not pay a dam penny they should have done it right the first time

Old 11-23-2010, 12:25 AM
03gsxr
Rookie

BTW the little bit of antifreeze I was losing that I could SMELL was going out the tailpipe

Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Stick to your guns and stand firm, even if that means talking with the shop manager and threatening to go above him/her

A stuck open stat will not cause you to run hot. Lots of guys will run engines without a stat. And whether you have a working stat, non-working or no stat all all, none of those configurations will leak coolant into the engine and out the tail pipe. As said earlier, you have/had a leak and you knew it. Them replacing the head gaskets once only meant they knew it and the engine had been over heated at some point. Them replacing it again now only means they also know there is an internal leak caused my bad/cracked/warped heads or gaskets. Again, you might have had a stuck stat, but that wasnt causing you to loose coolant. Threaten to call BBB, Daimler Chrysler Corp and file complaints and demand to speak with their Chrysler Rep. Those might now work depending on who you try to bluff but it may make them take you more serious. You can file complaints though.

Quick Reply: losing antifreeze