3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

losing antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM
03gsxr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losing antifreeze

I have a 02 ram 1500 4X4 I had head gaskets replace in August no I go through antifreeze about a overflow bottle a month and you can smell the antifreeze as well I just got home from the garage and they checked the head gaskets turn out good thank god the put pressure on the system and it wasn't losing no pounds and they could not find no leaks but the smell the antifreeze as well any ideas here I'm stumped as hell on this one lol

Old 11-17-2010, 03:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Coolant loss is limited to radiator leakage, waterpump leakage, head gaskets and intake leakage. Rare cases of radiator internal leaking and mixing w/trans fluid. If they are the one's who did your headgaskets, then they need to fix the problem, because they touched both the intake and heads which are a common cause to your problem.
I assume you inspected the engine bay and there are no obvious signs of leaking fluids? If your engine temperature hasn't spiked, then I assume the mechanic bled the system properly and if that's the case, it sounds like you have an internal leak.
You don't have any transmission fluid mxing in with your coolant right? Even this wouldnt cause smelly coolant conditions.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:59 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Since you know you are using it internally, I have to say the head gaskets for warped/cracked heads. How else would it manage to get into the combustion chamber??

Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm thinking that if they did a pressure check(not a 3min check) and really did it correctly(more like 20min check) and found no signs of pressure loss, you may have a warped head which may be semi-sealing itself after the engine warms up. I would drop it off and have them do another pressure check with a cold engine block and then again on a warn engine block. To properly pressure check, you must do in both states!
Just because it passed one test doesn't mean you aren't experienceing minor coolant loss in your oil. If you continue to drive in such a manner, you can and will ruin your engine. Water in your engine is not good. They will need to pay for a new engine if they are slow to the draw on resolving this issue too.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:07 PM
03gsxr
Rookie

I payed a garage to look at it to see if they could find anything they spend about 40 mins on it .It goes back to the dealership on monday for them to check it out they are the ones who did the heads I took it to another garage today just to get a 2nd opion but that failed lol

Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Thats true. I overheated an engine once and at cold start it would run fine but give it 10+ mins and those heads would start leaking.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:15 PM
03gsxr
Rookie

The thing is I dont over heat at all and I did bring the truck to the garage today at running temp

Old 11-17-2010, 04:22 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Keep running it like it is and burning coolant and you will run hot. Just a matter of time. Adding liquid in on the air/fuel charge on a normal engine will kill it. Guys do run misters on high performance engines but those usually are billet and forged setups.

Bottom line is you know you have an internal leak because you are using, burning it, smelling it and have no external leaks.

It doesnt matter what we say, the end result is going to be the same when a shop has to look at it/repair it unless you are going to do the work yourself.

If you are then i would pick up another set of heads and have them refinished and replace them and the head gaskets yourself. If a shop does it then they are going to do all of that anyway

Old 11-17-2010, 04:54 PM
03gsxr
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Keep running it like it is and burning coolant and you will run hot. Just a matter of time. Adding liquid in on the air/fuel charge on a normal engine will kill it. Guys do run misters on high performance engines but those usually are billet and forged setups.

Bottom line is you know you have an internal leak because you are using, burning it, smelling it and have no external leaks.

It doesnt matter what we say, the end result is going to be the same when a shop has to look at it/repair it unless you are going to do the work yourself.

If you are then i would pick up another set of heads and have them refinished and replace them and the head gaskets yourself. If a shop does it then they are going to do all of that anyway
ya I know what your saying its going back to the dealership on monday because I want to know what is wrong here and I want it fixed I just cant beleive the garage that i took it to today said they couldnt find anything wrong well soming is wrong here i smell antifreeze and i go through a overflow bottle once a month so I just hope the dealership can figure it out

Old 11-17-2010, 04:56 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Whatever you do, DON'T tell the dealer you had someone else look into it and that they found nothing. that is just setting yourself up for trouble right away.

Not sure if you had your heads resurfaced, but THAT is the only thing you should be paying for if that turns out to be the problem, nothing more, not even gaskets. The dealer should have caught that the first time around and because they didn't, the rest is on them, parts and labor!
Just feeding you some info so you can be prepared to talk to the dealer.

Quick Reply: losing antifreeze