3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help trans is acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:56 PM
jose13b
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help trans is acting funny

ok i turned on my truck this morning and the check engine light was on so i put it in drive and it was moving slow then picked up and drove good .. so maybe my trans is going or a trans sensor or it was pretty cold when i left for work but it did the same thing after work so am going to the shop tomorrow to check the engine light.. i just put a new motor 4 months ago hopefully its not a trans. also i just put a new cat 2 weeks ago..
anybody know what are the signs of a trans going?

Last edited by jose13b; 11-20-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Dunno207
Professional

Can't tell much without the codes. It may just be a little hick-up never know.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:29 AM
fatdebo

My truck was doing the same thing. You could put it in gear and the truck just stays there, after about 5 seconds it'll shift hard into drive and this wasn't the first time it happened. This time it was different, The trans felt like it was slipping. I drove home with it like that. The truck felt like you were in one gear with a tranny that's slipping. It wouldn't down shift when you punched it, just stayed in that one gear. So I took it to a trans shop and they told my that they needed to replace the Solenoid. That's where I stand today.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:03 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turn the key to the on position without engaging the starter... do this three times fairly quickly with the slightest of pauses at 'off'.. watch your odometer- it will render you a code.. read said code and compare it to the chart in your Haynes manual (or google it)..

you say "...so i put it in drive and it was moving slow then picked up and drove good..." This could be a tranny without adequate fluid levels.. Or it could be a governor pressure solenoid failing...

get that code and check it...

but try this too- next time it does it, stop immediately, and drop it past drive to first gear.. let your foot off the brake and apply throttle... if it DOESN'T do it, the greatest chances are, you need a new solenoid.. I've had them fail on me on occasion, but work fine other times- but if that is what it is, rest assured, it WILL ultimately stop for good at some point soon.

edited to add: if it's your solenoid, it's an easy (albeit messy) fix.. if it's your fluid, you better find out whats happening to all your fluid..and pretty soon..

Last edited by drewactual; 11-20-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:11 AM
fatdebo

are there directions online to replace the solenoid or would you have a picture of where the solenoid is

Old 11-20-2010, 01:21 AM
drewactual
Champion

man, you can search the forums here and find a ton of info about that now that you know the terms to use in the search.. it's a really easy job.. I'll share a little advice though- if you can, siphon off enough fluid through your dipstick/fill tube so that you're not spilling fluid everywhere when you drop the pan..

as far as the job is concerned, it's really simple- just a matter of unplugging the old, and installing the new..

get a new gasket, replacement fluid (only at+4), and filter(s) while you're at it.

good luck!

Old 11-20-2010, 08:55 AM
jose13b
Veteran

went to auto zone they do a free engine light test and told me the code is P1762 trans failure or governor pressure sensor but what is funny that the truck drove good all the way to the store... where is that sensor is it on the outside of the trans autozone did not know?
checked the trans fluid its fine

Last edited by jose13b; 11-20-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:32 AM
drewactual
Champion

Glad to hear it's just that...

you can look up the FAQ and have it fixed in a couple hours all by yourself..

word of caution: when it 'does it' next, stop.. put the truck in first..walk your way up to drive as if you're driving a manual transmission... this will save a ton of wear on your tranny.. if you keep trying to start out in second, you"ll gut that rascal quick like.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:34 AM
jose13b
Veteran

I cant find anything on how to replace it can you find me a link I also called around and i can only get that part from the dealer

Old 11-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Kscha41
Professional

My truck did the same thing Monday and it did it twice in a row. Since then it has run fine. The check engine is on and I think it was the same code. I am going to wait to see if the light goes away. If it does it again, I guess I will fix it.

Quick Reply: help trans is acting funny