3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

p2110 cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
kccisco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p2110 cold weather

well driving home tonite with the temperature at 11 degrees my truck kept wanting 2 die, i got home and the rpms looped from idle to 1500rpms, my scanner read a p2110 and so i did som research and found somthing that says that its the throttle body and i need to upgrade to a new trhottle body part #5161805AA. well i dont think this is the trucks first year in this weather. the temperature will drop to as low as -40f degree and im wondering if i have 2 upgrade the throttle body to this new one or will this TB adjust to the weather if i wipe the code.

the weather is geting colder and i need to no if i have to upgrade so that i can order the part a soon as possible or if thats just a waist of time and money

Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Denniss66
Veteran

this happens in my truck ever year usually around -30 it will do it after a cold start. i just erase the code with my superchip and it runs normal until another cold start up and it doesn't through codes every cold start up though.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:29 PM
kccisco

well i called the dodge service department in my town and they swer up and down that its not the tb even tho my scanner even designates the code as dealing with my throttle actuator. this dealership is a joke cas they even say that my scanner is obviously faulty cas a code p2110 doesnt even exist( i dont even think the head mechanic is licensed or he smokes pot in the bakroom if he says a statement like that), so im geting no help from my dealer

Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 AM
gordie580
Professional

I had the same problem with my truck yesterday also. it was 12 deg here. My dodge had the red light with like a lighting bolt that was comming on. I haven't checked my programmer to see if Igot the same code as you but i will check see what mine tells me later today.
They need to make pickups for cold weather.. Afterall the major 3 are all built in cold weather climates...

Old 11-21-2010, 11:16 PM
kccisco

o i agree with you, if a truck cant make it in the cold it has no business being in the cold

well the saga continues, the temp dropped to 1degree and i had removed the code and i drove to work. well after 15hrs at work i came back and started it. well the code came back on but my scanner wouldnt read the code or erase it for that matter and so my ETC light came on and i lost all power. the truck is going into the shop since i cant get enoough information on how to fix it myself, ill tell you what the mechanic says once he fixes the truck or either jnks it. wats sad is my 1991 S10 blazer with 230000 miles had to tow me home

Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 PM
kccisco

well i feel a little dumber right now, i found this on another forum

all credit goes to JP from (DODGETRUCKWORLD.COM)

there was a few trucks in this week with the same problem
SUBJECT:
InactiveThrottle Body In Cold Ambient Temperatures
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the throttle body.
MODELS:
2003 - 2005 (DR) Ram Truck
NOTE: This Bulletin Applies To Vehicles Equipped With 5.7L Engines (Sales Code
EZA).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may experience any of the following Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system
symptoms at start up in extreme cold ambient temperatures (Below 0� F (minus 18�C)):
Partial Return From Cold Start Fast Idle
No RPM Increase When Accelerator Pedal Is Moved
Diagnostic Trouble Code 2110 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited
RPM
Diagnostic Trouble Code 2118 - Throttle Actuator Control Motor - Current
Range/Performance
DIAGNOSIS:
If a customer indicates that they have experienced the condition, perform the Repair
Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 05161805AA Throttle Body - 2003/2004
1 05174079AA Throttle Body - 2005
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Using the procedures outlined on TechCONNECT, remove the throttle body and install
the appropriate throttle body listed in the Parts Required section.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
NUMBER: 14-002-05
GROUP: Fuel
DATE: March 17, 2005
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation
No:
Description Amount
14-30-01-95 Replace Throttle Body

Old 11-22-2010, 12:15 AM
gordie580
Professional

yea, I had code 2110, and 2118, those same codes. I wonder how the candian trucks work since i am only a few miles south of the border, maybe i can get a candian truck to work for the cold weather....
Mine hasn't done it yet today. but it was 4 deg here so i am waiting for the negatives to start comming soon. Glad to be in Dakota's where it will never be above 0 in a month

I went and checked amazon tonight and i see they cost 246.00 for a new TB.

Last edited by gordie580; 11-22-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:17 PM
kccisco

ya i live in the north dakota right now and i talked again to the mechanic and thankfully i got a diferent mechanic, cas after talking to him for 20min and convincing him to look for the bullitin he found it. now i have a new tb on its way and i have to let the mechanic put it in since he has 2 flash the trucks computer. he was able to find the part for 215$ and i checked with him and it is the correct part number

Old 11-22-2010, 02:32 PM
gordie580
Professional

I am also from North dakota... did you take it to a dealer or just a small michanic... I have to go to bismarck if i take it to the dealer to get fixed...

Old 11-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Buggsy
Professional

If you're going to buy a new TB anyways, spend a couple bucks more and get a nice ported & polished TB from Fastman. I also don't understand why you'd have to flash the comptuer to replace the TB? I know there is a "learning" period for the computer, but I've never heard anyone mention needing a flash to replace the TB.

http://www.thefastman.com/ThrottlebodiesHemi.asp

Quick Reply: p2110 cold weather