3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck will not start, once in a while

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Vang1111
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Truck will not start, once in a while

Recently my Ram has failed to start on occasion. When the key is engaged, all of the lights and indicators come on, but the starter does not roll. Initially it seemed as if the transmission was not properly either in park or neutral. I'd move the shifter to drive and then back to park. The truck would then usually start.

A couple days a go it went to a new level. the above did not clear the problem and then the alarm system lost contact with the key fob etc. Had to call AAA for a tow. We disconnected the battery to silence the alarm. At the garage the mechanic started it right up after reconnecting the battery.

Driving it home, I noticed that my Secrity Light would pop on for a few seconds. This morning I put my Super Chip on it to see if there were any codes. There were three:
P0513, Invalid SKIM Key
C2100, Battery Voltage Low
U0168, Lost communications with security system.

I was told that they cleared all the codes at the shop before I brought it home. Other than this it runs flawless.

Any thoughts, Thanks VAN

Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 PM
DohCanadian
Amateur

Maybe try a whole new battery? Supposedly lots of funky things can happen with our trucks with a bad battery.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Vang1111

Based on somewhat similar posts I've found that's one of the items I plan on looking at. Will get both batteries on a tester to see what they indicated under load.

Quick Reply: Truck will not start, once in a while