3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problem Guides
Print Wikipost

Help Really Bad Odor Coming from engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

just run some perfume other smell-good through it......

seriously.........dont do that.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Yellowknife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get this figured out? My 2010 Power Wagon started giving off a smell today that is absolutely horrible and hard to stand. It smells like raw sewage. It is coming from the transfer case/transmission area. Nothing is visibly leaking. Coolant usually smells like cotton candy when it burns off. This is an awful smell. Wondering if you figured your issue out.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:13 AM
nussdawg395
Veteran

Yellowknife that sounds like a cat for sure. When they go they smell horrible, like rotten eggs, or sewage. And your cat is right in the trans/t-case area.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:31 PM
08arhemi
Professional

I had a litter of kittens get chopped up in my fan one morning when I hit a speed bump. I was in college and didn't drive except on the weekends, so when I came back out a week later...whew...it was rough.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM
jmola

yellowknife I had the Cat replaced and the smell simmered down a lot. I have put about 800 miles since and I still smell an oder around the truck similar but no as chemicaly as it was and not in the cab like in the past. Its not as bad as it was but is still making me nuts. Can anyone tell me is there more than one cat in a Dodge Ram. Thanks

Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Late model 04's+ have 2 cats, early 04s and 03's have 1 cat. If the cat is bad it smells horrible, one of the many reasons I put my cats back in when I did headers, they smelled something feirce with them removed due to the unburned hydrocarbons. Check the exhaust manifolds for a leak, check the cats, check all the piping leading up to the cats and see if there is an exhaust leak or hole in the cat.

There is also a drain plug in the cats to get rid of condensation, locate them and see if they have rusted through or if the leak/smell is coming from there.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmola
Hi Im new to this forum. I have a 2004 Ram 2500 with 28,000 miles. There is a really bad odor coming from the engine its like a strong burning chemical smell. The dealer checked it and could not figure it out they verified the smell but could not find the source. They claimed it was possibly the new exaust head that they replaced and needed to burn off the film that is on it. I have put on many mile since and its getting worse. I had to stop driving it due to the fact the odor was causing me to get headaches. Last year in the winter I noticed a neon yellowish greenish color coming from the exaust. Dealer said it was nothing. I drive the truck mostly in the winter months so it sit through the summer. My extended warranty is up in a few months so i need to figure this out soon and the deal seems to brush it off. Any suggestions or feed back would be great. Thanks In advance.
Not normal and they are BSing you. That is clearly coolant. Have you checked your coolant level to see if it's slowly gone down at all?

Silicone is an ingredient in traditional antifreeze. Silicone is used to provide corrosion protection for aluminum parts. As long as it stays inside the cooling system, it has no effect on the converter. But if the head gasket starts to seep coolant into the combustion chamber, or the head develops a hairline crack that leaks coolant, silicone can get into the exhaust and ruin the converter. As with phosphorus contamination, it is essential to eliminate the source of the coolant leak before the converter is replaced, otherwise the new converter will suffer the same fate.
You should also note that silicone, phosphorus and lead can also contaminate oxygen sensors, too. If the converter has failed because of contamination, the oxygen sensors should also be checked because they may be contaminated, too.

I'd go to the dealer and make them fix your issue and refund you for your converter replacement expense.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:11 PM
jmola

Im still working on this issue. The dealer had the truck for 4 weeks!! They claim to be working with engineers or techs from dodge. They last came up with changing the differential fluid and moving a vent tube per tech support. Sounded like b.s. to me. I have a case manager with chrysler, but they seem to just repeat what ever the dealer says. I feel like they are just jerking me around. This issue has been going on since last spring and im getting tired of going back and forth and not having my truck is a pain in the ***. Any suggestions?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Yellowknife

Know what mine was? The vent/breather tube for the transmission was breathing right into my air intake for the cabin. I had no idea transmission fluid smells so bad.

Quick Reply: Help Really Bad Odor Coming from engine