3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Guy Here - Be Easy on me

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:33 PM
kevnstac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Here - Be Easy on me

OK, I just bought a 2007 Ram 2500 with 6.7 diesel. It has a 6" lift and I will post up pics on my photobucket as soon as I can get to that.
First real question is, I have a P0489 code already from the drive home of the used car dealership. (I already found out news I wished I had read earlier)
How long can I drive with that code on before I have problems? I have a trip planned in 2 days and I need this truck.
Thanks for any info you guys can shed my way.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Matt99
Champion

Fault code P0489 (EGR control circuit low). There is a service bulletin that is suppose to improve numerous features of the exhaust after treatment including the setting of that code. This has to be performed at the dealer because it involves updating the ECM and CCN modules. The amount a soot in the system also has to be checked and if there is excessive soot build up when performing the inspection there is a special cleaner that has to be used to clean it up and the dealer has the special tool required to do this.

got that off of something else. obviously this isnt going to hurt your truck but will probably give you worse mpgs. If it gets too clogged it will end up restricting exhaust and (just like a clogged cat) cause some stalling but if it hasnt been on too long I wouldnt worry...might try pulling EGR sensor and cleaning it

Last edited by Matt99; 12-11-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:42 PM
kevnstac

I see I posted this in the wrong section and added a similar question on the Diesel thread.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Matt99
Champion

its fine, this is still a 3gen section but there was also a diesel subsection. If cleaning it fixes it then its a quick deal

Old 12-11-2010, 04:46 PM
kevnstac

The dealer said he just had it cleaned and thought the EGR needed to be replaced but that was under warranty according to him.

Quick Reply: New Guy Here - Be Easy on me