3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some help here

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:30 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Starting with the '08 4.7, they also have 16 plugs. Power also increased from 235 HP to 310 HP and 295 TQ to 330 TQ.
At 310 HP, you really shouldn't feel underpowered at all even in a relatively heavy QC 4x4.

I also agree they probably didn't need to replace the throttle body as the idle control valve will stick as the TB gets gummed up. You should really clean the TB at LEAST every 30k miles. Even though the front of the plate may look fine, the back will be gummed to sh*t by 30k miles.

The 16 plug Chrysler V8s HATE platinum and other "hi-tech" plugs and perform best with simple copper core Champions.

It is also a bi*ch to get the filter and gasket seated perfectly in the transmission and having either off by just a hair will result in anything from a slightly missing tranny right up to a transmission that appears "shot". Check both.

If the plugs don't do the trick, you should probably have a leak down test done on the cylinder that is misfiring just to rule out head gasket or head issue. Usually only happens if you allow the engine to over-heat, but you never know. A misfiring cylinder would certainly cause your idle to fluctuate/drop and the engine to stall...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-12-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:57 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ ya , see thats what 15,ooo plus posts gets ya. Good information!!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Gfishe7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Well I took and replaced all 16 plugs. Took 3 hours....only because the top plug holes are so tight I got my 5/8" spark plug socket stuck in the #8 hole. Literally took 2 hours to work it out.

Anyways, didn't fix the problem like I thought it wouldn't. Went back to dealer and they say they don't know what the problem is. I asked about changing fluids and filters in tranny. Wanted over $400 to do that. Laughed at them and told them they lost their minds.

I called their service department (who happened to call the day before and asked me if I was happy with the work they did). I let them know I was not happy at all. After being transferred a couple of times I got a hold of the manager. Now Monday I have to take it back in for them to look at it more.

Since then I went to another dealership in another town. They ran diagnostic for free and found a low line pressure code that was for the transmission. Their tranny guy said that if there is a problem with fluid level or filter not seated right it will cause the exact issue I am having. They want to replace filters and fluid for $95 to $100. Told them I wanted to see what the other dealer was going to do, they might for free since they screwed up and cost me money already. Most likely I will take it back to this dealer and have it changed since they seem to have an idea of what it might actually be...THE TRANNY ...like I told them.

I will keep you posted on the outcome.

And yes guys on here are very helpful. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Still Here

RF all the way. Come join!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:15 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update, talling memory banks as I type lol.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Gfishe7

By the way, know anyone who needs a perfectly good throttle body for a 4.7 engine...lol...got one I will come off of cheap...nothing wrong with it.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Gfishe7

Originally Posted by Still Here
RF all the way. Come join!
What does this mean?