3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some help here

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Gfishe7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need some help here

I am new to this forum. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4. I started having some problems with it recently. Here's were I will start:

Truck history:

Bought with 750 miles on it, previous owner traded it in because he was to old to climb up and down in the truck (at least that is what they told me).

Has just under 72k on it. 4.7L engine.

Truck never seemed to have any power from day one. Good for me, less chance I will tear it up.

Problem(s):

Starts fine, runs fine. Until I get to a stop and the truck seems to want to stall and half the time does. The tach drops to about 4- 5 hundred fluxuating, and the battery gauge drops down like it is not charging anymore. Happens most of the time, but not all the time.

The problem seems to grow now...when I put it in gear the transmission takes a second for it to engage sometimes. Once in a while I will have to stop and shut the truck off because it goes into limp mode. Funny thing is when I am going after it is in gear and starts to roll it runs and shifts perfectly, until time to stop. I can go 90mph if I want, no slipping or anything.

What was tried to fix:

Took it to dodge dealership to help figure out the problems. Usually I fix everything myself. Well they looked at it and said that the throttle body needed replaced because the idle control valve was not opening and closing like it is supposed to. Cost me $360 to find out that was not the problem. And I told them that I didn't think that was the problem before they changed it and to give me the old one. Now I have a good spare one.

They had me bring it back 2 days later to replace the computer. That was under warranty. Still didn't fix the problem, but with the new computer they said I am getting a misfire code.

The tech there takes out a plug I changed over a year ago and says that my plugs are the wrong ones. I can't remember exactly what they were, but think they were platinum split fire plugs. They worked fine until a couple months ago. He said they are to much of a load on my coils because each coil ignites 2 plugs not 1. So this week I am going to change the plugs to the recommended ones.

Now:

I am sure this will not fix the issue. I need help with what the problem can be. It is Christmas, house-wife is Pregnant and I can't afford to keep throwing money into this. This is the only vehicle we own.

HELP PLEASE WITH WHAT IT COULD BE

Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say,your dealer is doing everthing ,to try and stay away from the transmission. I would have it flushed, seeing as you already paid too have the problem fixed,and it wasn't; you should be able to get this one done on the house. Does your state have a lemon law? After repeated attempts too fix a problem they are obligated to /required to fix the problem. regardless of cost. I know our state does. Hell they charge enough.There is a lock out switch that might be sticking when the tranny is serviced the tech ''should'' remedy it. If they just drop the pan and replace the filters, your being ripped off. Make sure ,they check that lock out switch. Good luck with the baby, and Merry x-mass. The good lord works miracles around this time of year.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Gfishe7

Thanks for replying. I will take it to them and have that done.

The last time the fluid was changed I did it and that was about 55k. I am hoping I did not do something wrong when I changed the filter. The old one was hard to get the ring out and I am pretty sure I got the new one in good enough.

Would the truck act this way if it was starving for tranny fluid? Dad had a 98 Dakota that had all kinds of tranny problems and it was something simple, a faulty check valve in cooler line. He put in a new clutch pack and everything himself before he found the simple solution.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 PM
luckydt
Veteran

for once i would have to agree with the dealer in the thinking. I would have tried to clean the TB first before replacing, but coming to a stop if it isn't reading the air coming in correctly you would have the exact issues you describe. It not having any power from day one would lead me to say dirty TB, needs new plugs, or clogged CAT depending on milage. Yes platinum plugs are a no go for these trucks. I bought all 16 plugs from rock auto for $32. If none of that did it then i again agree with the dealer and would be thinking PCM not reading correctly. So you already have a new TB and PCM so my next thing would be the plugs. These trucks seem to like the stock copper plugs over the expensive platinum ones.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 PM
rocket23
Champion

I dunno lucky He did have the tranny worked on albeeit by the op. He is running out of things too check, Lack of power, could very well be plugged up cat(s). I agree with that. The 4.7's have 16 plugs? I thought that was just a hemi issue.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Gfishe7

What reads the air in the truck when I come to a stop?

The truck only had 750 miles on it when I bought it. I thought that maybe Dodge was regulating the trucks power to prolong the life of the engine and transmission. The truck has no problem pulling a load. Just no get up and go. The tires won't break traction unless on loose ground or wet. Not that that really bothers me. But takes for ever to get up to 80-90mph if in an emergency, had to test that 3 times now.

Yes it does have 16 plugs and put the split fires to replace them. Bad move by the sound of it.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:03 AM
rocket23
Champion

thats a lot of mileage in two years. But being an o8 It should be offering a code. I truly am flustered. The plugs in the hemi were always an issue, seems cheaper is better in that regard. lucky is right champions are the way too go.I hadn't realised they were doing duel plugs in the newr 3rd gens' . Still leaning too the cats, That is a warranty deal. Especially after they covered the pcm as well. Once you mention lemon law, they should get to the bottom of the problem in a hurry, But our state is much like cali. Hope it works out for you.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Gfishe7

Thanks for the input, I will try plugs and maybe back to dealer for the tranny flush / inspection. I will post probably Thursday night what I find out whether good or bad.

Thanks again. I appreciate the quick reply.

Also, I am going to look up the lemon laws in Indiana to see what we cover here.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:16 AM
rocket23
Champion

coo,l keep us posted

Old 12-12-2010, 07:51 AM
luckydt
Veteran

rocket23 in regards to the plugs when i said i replaced all 16 it was because mine is a hemi, but i had no idea 4.7 had them too. I also thought it was just a hemi thing.