3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Advice on Tailgate Cover + Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 PM
zacelliott
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Tailgate Cover + Tonneau Cover

Hey all, My 08 Big Horn Quad Cab has the stock spoiler on the tailgate, looks good, but I was recently given an Undercover Tonneau Cover (The Classic model http://undercoverinfo.com/new_classic.php) Anyway, It won't work with the stock spoiler (spoiler is too thick so it doesn't latch), well I wasn't gonna pass up a free tonneau cover and just unscrewed the spoiler, which means the cover now fits, but there are 4 square holes in the tailgate, which we just put the spoiler screws in for safe keeping. I want to cover up these holes before any water or anything else gets inside the tailgate and messes things up, does anyone have any suggestions of a tailgate cover that wouldn't be too thick to hinder the use of the cover, and would cover up the holes. I don't really want to get a full set of bed covers that cover both sides plus the tailgate, and preferably cheap. Any ideas?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:32 AM
xtremekramer
Rookie

I was looking at something like this

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior-...&t_pn=BKITGPD9

when i was looking at that cover.

Ended up going with a different cover and didn't need to change mine out. So not sure how well it will fit. But is definitely not as big as the stock wale tail.

4 wheel parts has 3 other ones you could choose from on their site as well. They all look pretty similar.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:44 AM
zacelliott

Thanks for the link, I don't think the one you posted goes down far enough, if you get what I mean, I need it to be like 1.5" down the tailgate so it covers the holes, maybe something like this? http://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior-...&t_pn=B/W58006 There is a FourWheelParts store in Moore, OK which is very close to me so I may run up there and see what they have and if they have anything that will work. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2010, 01:16 AM
xtremekramer
Rookie

Yeah i know what you mean. When i had my bed linex done, i asked them to take the wale tail off and linex over the holes. He brought me out to the truck to show me that he couldn't linex over them. Those dang square holes where huge. I ended up leaving the wale tail on and linexing around it.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:01 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to linex over them all you have to do is tape some cardboard behind the hole then spray

Quick Reply: Advice on Tailgate Cover + Tonneau Cover