3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with contaminated fuel system 03 hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blue----the fuel filter and pressure regulator on these things are integral to the fuel pump, and not really replacable--they're in the tank----sucks, but thats the way they did it.

Hope you get it worked out

Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Buggsy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe you'll find a factory fuel filter add on. As Gone Fishing said, it wasn't a factory option. I can't recommend anything because I haven't used one personally, but I've seen high-end filtration add-ons that also offer water separation. Some of this really only matters to where you live, and it sounds like you'd just like a little extra piece of mind.

But if only the engine came from a dry place, your tank should be fine. Not to say you didn't have a lot of water sit in it, or a kid dump something in it, or the filter in the tank somehow ripped. Pumping the tank dry is a good idea. Replacing the fuel rail is a good idea. The injectors though... I really think you should hold off until you've solved this issue. If you put in the new injectors and fuel rail, and you still clog an injector, you run some risk of damage to the new injector. You should be able to back flush an injector your self and clean it out. But if you feel confident than the problem will be solved, then it's definitely easier to do all at once.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 AM
davidonmars
Professional

did you buy this truck off kijiji? I think I was looking at it about a month back!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 PM
blueramhemi

Thanks for the help guys!
Yes, I did buy it from kijiji from a guy in Whitby. 7800 bucks ! It has alot of kms on the truck but the motor is supposed to be a low mile replacement from the USA. Truck has 220,000km and the motor supposedly 105,000km.
The truck is very clean but needed some mechanical work to get it back to 100% mint so I had it taken to Menzies Dodge to do the following:

New ball joints upper and lower both sides.
New track bar
New stabilizer bar bushings
Flush cooling system and replace coolant
Flush transmission and replace trans fluid and filter
Change front and rear diff oil and transfer case oil
Engine oil and filter
Leak-down test on all 8 cylinders
16 new champion plugs
2 new coils
Air filter, wipers
4 wheel alignment
e-brake cable
new rear pads
New muffler (Magnaflow)
Complete Detail and power polish

3800 bucks later it looks and drives like new !

The only issue/concern I have is the fuel rail corrosion and injectors that may be damaged from debris that bypassed the inlet screens.
I am used to paying ridiculous amounts of money to drive a new truck so even after paying 11,600 I feel pretty good about investing another 700 bucks for new injectors and fuel rails. In fact I got the injectors yesterday and they physically look new. The rails have just arrived at the local Dodge dealer here ( Im in Bath New York for the holidays visiting family) .
I am going to pump the tank dry into glass jars and the make the call as to whether to drop the tank or just replace the injectors and rails.
I also bought a Diablosport Trinity to give it a tune after I am sure none of my cylinders are running lean due to partially plugged injectors.
After the new fuel injection stuff is installed my mission will be to firm up the tranny shifts with a shift kit etc and try and tune this engine for some bottom end torque improvements.
I will report my findings with the fuel system repairs/tank rust etc for others who may have contamination problems with a truck that has been sitting for an extended period.
Thanks again!
Rob

Quick Reply: Help with contaminated fuel system 03 hemi?