3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with contaminated fuel system 03 hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:49 PM
blueramhemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with contaminated fuel system 03 hemi?

Hi all,
I am new here and also new to gas powered Dodge trucks. I have just bought a used (but physically very clean) 03 2500 hemi QCLB from a private party. I had it delivered directly to a Dodge dealer to inspect the truck and spent a bundle on maintenance items including all oils and fluids changed and flushed the transmission and cooling system etc. I had no idea what maintenance had been done to date, so decided to start from scratch. Also had all ball joints and tie rod ends replaced and rear brake pads.
The truck has 140,000 miles on it but the engine has been replaced according to the previous owner. He said it was replaced with a 60,000 mile 03 ram engine from an auto wrecker. I had the dealer do a leak down test and all 8 were at 15%. (mechanic said typical hemi leak down after break in is 10-15% and high mile hemi engines show 25% with his tester) I had new champions installed as well as new oem wires. 2 coils appeared to be quite rusty so I replaced them to avoid problems later on. I also replaced the air filter.
The truck started missing on # 8 within 50 miles and I returned it to the dealer who found rust particles completely plugging #8 injector and partially plugging #6 injector. The truck has since been running ok overall but I am noticing a distinct lack of throttle response at part throttle and poor gas mileage. About 11.5 highway and below 10 in town.
I am speculating that while the engine and/or truck was not connected prior to the swap there may have been some moisture allowed into the (open) fuel system that perhaps led to rust formation.
I am not familiar with the gas powered Ram fuel system yet and will not have room in my shop until next week to have a look.
Does anyone know what components of the system are steel and would be subjected to rust?

I believe the tank itself is plastic. I would like to order parts prior to tearing the fuel system down and all I can think of is the fuel rail itself that is metal.
Are the fuel lines also metal or are they plastic?

Is there a common source on these trucks for contributing to fuel system contamination?

Is there any way to install a fuel filter close to the fuel rail so I can replace my injectors without worrying about ruining them again with rust particles?

Is there a method of testing my fuel injectors prior to replacing them all?

What is the best place to buy injectors from? ( I am in Ontario Canada)

This may have nothing to do with my lack of throttle response (part throttle seems sluggish, WOT seems very good), but I want to make sure all my injectors are working properly and there is no more crap in my fuel system reaching my fuel rails. Perhaps others have had clogged fuel systems in the past and can offer some tips on cleaning it out and diagnostic tests to determine if my injectors are ruined etc.
Also of note is the fuel mileage I am getting seems to be lower than typical of these trucks. 11.5 highway/ 9 in town. 3.73 gears and stock tire size with no lift. New Magnaflow muffler but otherwise completely stock with all pcm updates done by dodge dealer.

I have searched quite alot on here and have not found much dealing with this type of issue but if someone knows of a thread that could help, please let me know.
Thanks,
Rob (Ontario Canada)

Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 AM
blueramhemi

Well, I drove the truck for a few days and lost # 8 cylinder again. Had a garage tear down the fuel rail and # 8 injector was plugged again with some very fine dust that has a reddish black color. The fuel rail had lots of this stuff in it as well.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am going to drop the tank and check it out but am curious why the in tank fuel filter is not filtering this stuff out? Is there anywhere else this stuff could be coming from?

Old 12-26-2010, 12:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've not heard of it before, so I'm sure it's not common. It sure does sound like something is contaminating the fuel...

Old 12-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Buggsy
Professional

You said you had it delivered, where did you buy it from?

Old 12-26-2010, 02:25 PM
blueramhemi

I bought it from a guy who lives about 100 miles from me. I test drove it for a few miles and bought it from him on the spot. I had him take it to the Dodge dealer and drop it off there for a complete inspection and safety check. It needed all the usual front end components and I had them change plugs, wires,2 coils and the muffler as well as all the oils and coolant. I wanted to start fresh. The owner told me the engine was replaced recently with a 60,000 mile hemi from a wreck. I had a leak down test done and all cylinders are even at 15% .
Everything works very well including idle,part and full throttle fuel trims. My only problem is this fine dust like stuff contaminating my fuel rail and injectors # 8 and #6 (end of the line in the dead end fuel supply system).
I don't see how the filter in the tank could let all this crap through, so I am wondering if there is somewhere else it could be originating from, such as an evap system component or perhaps some type of scale inside the fuel lines?
I don't know what the in tank filter looks like but if it is not stainless steel, perhaps it rusted if the tank sat empty for a long period?

Any insights here from previous experience anyone?

Best fuel pump assembly and injectors for my 2003 ? I thought I read that someone here used a different year pump for some reason?
Thanks,
Rob

Old 12-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard of the rust problem----the fuel system is of the non-return type, meaing the fuel is pumped up to the engine, but no return flow, the pressure regulator is an integral part of the fuel pump/filter setup. The early hemi's had fuel rails that rusted due to water laying in the fuel rails. The dealer repair is to replace both rails at substantial cost. Initially, I would pull the rails and clean the injector inlet screens, flush the rails---or order new ones and replace them yourself. seems like I remember the replacement costs by a dealer at near $400.

You might consider getting a few bottles of "Dry Gas" ---in the red bottle NOT YELLOW!!!!--and add a bottle to each fill up for a few tanks to get rid of accumalated water.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:07 PM
blueramhemi

Thanks guys,

I thought all fuel rails were made of aluminum but the only hands on experiance I have had with fuel rails was on an aftermarket Edelbrock Pro Flo system and a 1987 F body L98 SBC, both of which were aluminum.
The fuel rail corosion therory makes perfect sense in my case. The truck engine was sitting for an extended period in a wrecked 2003 Ram with 60,000 miles on it. It was purchased and shipped up to Canada and installed into my truck and then driven very little.
My new question is: does anyone here know if there is another common source for rust within the gas Ram fuel system, such as the pump itself and or the fuel lines? Externally the fuel lines look very good with no rust at all and the flexible line appears to be stainless steel. The tank is plastic so if I am lucky it is just the rails as stated by the member here. Pump is running at spec for both flow and pressure.
Thanks

Old 12-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Buggsy
Professional

Since it's a reoccurring problem, and you are unsure of the source, do a little test. Get a clear glass jar (like a canning jar). Relieve the pressure from the fuel system and disconnect the line from the fuel rails. At the fuse block, you should be able to by-pass the system and apply 12V to the fuel pump. Make sure you catch the gas in the glass jar. Inspect it for particles or rust. Secondly, let it settle over night and check it again for any sediment in the bottom.

If you can't find anything, pull the fuel rails and back flush them. Do what you can to clean and inspect them. If you still get contamination in the injectors of this, I would not suspect the fuel rail. Fine particles could be in the tank and getting past the filter. You could splice in an after market fuel filter to see if that helps. Based on the color, and your description of how fine it is, I was going to guess that the motor came from a dry, arid region.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:43 AM
blueramhemi

Thanks Guys,yes, the engine did come from the southwest somewhere. I have already ordered a new fuel rail. Excellent idea to pump fuel into the glass jar. I have about an 1/8 tank right now so when I change the rail I will pump the tank dry into some gallon jars I have and check for any rust etc.
I also bought new injectors. I plan on doing some mods to this truck to try and give it some bottom end torque and better throttle response, so I need to start fresh with a good running stock engine.
The Dodge dealer quoted me 95.00 per injector so I decided to go with some reman injectors from an online place called "Injector Warehouse". The cost was less then half and they are supposed to be a matched set. Has anyone here ever bought injectors from this supplier?
My only complaint with the way this truck is running right now is the lack of throttle response and poor low to mid rpm part throttle torque. Once I hit wot it seems to come alive and pulls very well. I am hoping that new injectors with a good spray pattern will help bottom end torque. Regardless of whether it helps torque, the fact that the injector inlet filter screens have been plugged solid at least twice means it is time to change them as a set. I will now be fairly certain that the engine is in proper tune now that it has new plugs,wires and fuel injectors.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 AM
blueramhemi

Forgot to ask, anyone have a link to an inline fuel filter setup for our trucks? It would be nice to use a system that utilizes the factory connections.

Quick Reply: Help with contaminated fuel system 03 hemi?